|“Wait For It”|
| First aired:|
September 24, 2007
Ted is in a slump after breaking up with Robin until she returns from Argentina with her new boyfriend, Gael. While Gael impresses Lily and Marshall, Ted hooks up with a wild girl who suggests he get a tattoo.
Future Ted tells the children that, while they know the short version (involving a yellow umbrella) of how he met their mother, there is a bigger story of how he became the man he needed to be in order to meet her.
This story begins back at Lily and Marshall's wedding, just as Barney finishes his word "...dary!" and he tries to get Ted out to help him "conquer New York" but Ted says he is not ready yet, prompting Barney to ask when he will be ready.
Ted decides that Robin is trying to win their break-up. Marshall backs up this theory by explaining to Lily about the winner and loser in each break-up, so Barney takes Ted out to help him win by getting Ted "a 12" (given that he says Robin is "a 10") but Ted gets "a 12" on his own, a tattooed girl called Amy.
After Gael had mentioned his passion for windsurfing and making love "sometimes at the same time", Barney insists this isn't possible as he has concocted a list of 33 vehicles (land-based, aquatic and airborne) in/on which it is possible to have sex and a windsurfing board is not on the list. He claims to have had sex on 31 of the 33 vehicles and would only need a bobsled and the Apollo 11 space capsule to complete the list. Lily says that to get the last one he will need to break into the Smithsonian, to which Barney casually replies "This conversation never happened."
Meanwhile, Lily and Marshall are having a night in with Robin and Gael after Lily inadvertently asked Gael out on a double date. They are supposed to be supporting Ted by hating Gael, but both end up falling for Gael as he plays the acoustic guitar, gives massages and sensually feeds fruit to everyone else.
On the night out with Ted, Barney clashes with Amy about everything and insists that he should be helping Ted as he is his wing-man but Ted is solely interested in Amy. Barney gives in to one request from Amy, for everyone to go back to her place, when she mentions that she has a hot tub. It turns out, the hot tub isn't Amy's, but belongs to a family who she used to nanny for and who are supposed to be in the Hamptons. Ted decides to get a tattoo himself to symbolise that he is winning the break-up but blanks out shortly after, while Barney leaves with a friend of Amy's to have sex.
The following morning Ted claims he had a good time the night before and is relieved that he did not get a tattoo—or so he thinks. Lily and Marshall spot a butterfly tattoo on Ted's lower back and call Barney to come and see. After cluing Ted in to his new "tramp stamp", the night's proceedings come back to Ted but he gets distracted by finding a bottle of Spanish massage oils.
Lily and Marshall explain what happened in the apartment the night before, which annoys Ted who goes to see Robin and accuses her of being over their break-up too fast. She says she cried for three days at the start of her holiday about missing Ted, which led her to Gael. Ted is still upset that Gael is so attractive, calling him an Adonis and the Cadillac of rebound guys, but Robin cheers him up by explaining that Ted has a bigger penis than Gael, which leads Ted to tell the guys at the bar that he has won the break-up. The scene then switches to the street outside MacLaren's where it is raining and someone walks by carrying a yellow umbrella.
At the epilogue, Barney is called up in his office by Marshall, looking deadly in a dark room, who tells him he sent him a website, the site is called slapcountdown.com and it counts down to the Slapsgiving, Barney figures this out and begins to scream, "Noooooooo!"
- Barney concludes his line from Something Blue; this is the longest time the audience has ever had to wait for it.
Future References (Contains Spoilers)Edit
- The website counting down to the next slap (slapcountdown.com) that Marshall sends Barney reaches zero in Slapsgiving, when the third slap is delivered.
- In Slapsgiving, Robin yells at Ted about the "parade of dubious conquests" he has been marching past her, adding that one got him a butterfly tattoo
- Ted gets rid of his butterfly tramp stamp through ten weekly sessions of laser tattoo removal between The Platinum Rule and Ten Sessions, over the course of which he meets, asks out, and eventually starts dating his dermatologist, Stella Zinman.
- Ted eventually acquires the yellow umbrella in No Tomorrow (after the Mother leaves it behind at the St. Patrick's Day party, as seen in How Your Mother Met Me), and leaves it in Cindy's and the Mother's apartment in Girls Versus Suits. The umbrella is also seen/referenced in many other episodes, including Right Place, Right Time, Big Days, and Farhampton.
- Marshall makes other home-made websites in Everything Must Go (lilyandmarshallselltheirstuff.com) and The Sexless Innkeeper (itwasthebestnightever.com), where Lily and Future Ted mention it being a problem.
|Ted:||I'm sorry; Gale?|
|Lily:||The girl never marries the hot guy.|
|Marshall:||Well, you did.|
|Lily:||I'm one of the lucky few.|
|Barney:||What are you doing? They know us here! You're gonna get us in trouble!|
|Amy:||Tell me something; do you ask your tailor to leave extra room in the crotch for your huge vagina?|
|Barney:||You… Your vagina!|
|Ted:||He's hot, he wind surfs, he massages things. Name one way I'm better than that guy.|
|Ted:||Don't patronize me. If anything, he may even be a little bit taller.|
|Robin:||No. Ted you're bigger.|
|Ted:||(celebrating with a drink) I WIN!|
|Future Ted:||Kids, I can't remember exactly what helped me get through the whole Robin-Gael incident. I'm sure that it was something profound and meaningful, and not at all macho and petty, but after that, I was back on my feet.|
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- In the hot tub, the bottle of alcohol is open when Barney drinks it, then closed in the very next scene when he gives it to Amy.
- If you pay close attention at the beginning of the episode, when Ted is in the bathroom, the camera can be seen in the mirror in the bottom right corner.
- When Barney disagrees that Ted should not get a tattoo, Ted is seen screwing on the top of the bottle then opening it again then closing it. However in the next scene he is seen drinking from the bottle and the cap is in his hand.
- Future Ted says that after his relationships end, he grows his "breakup beard and mustache" however in later episodes he doesn't do that, as in after his breakup with Stella, Zoey, Victoria and pretty much every serious relationship he has been in.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- Marshall jokes about Ted's beard calling him Chester A. Arthur.
- Barney teases Amy by calling her Tommy Lee and "1994 Courtney Love".
- The song that Gael plays on the guitar is Enrique Iglesias's own Alguien Soy Yo.
- If the episode is purchased on iTunes, it features Future Ted recapping nearly everything that happened in the first two seasons that led up to this point, followed by the theme song playing over various clips, then the episode plays through as normal.
- Wait For It at IMDb
|Something Blue||Wait For It |
|We're Not From Here|