|“The Platinum Rule”|
| First aired:|
December 10, 2007
Ted wants to ask out his dermatologist against the gang's advice. They take turns recounting tales of how relationships with people they saw on a regular basis have backfired.
Ted tells the others he is planning on taking out his tattoo removal doctor, Stella Zinman, to a movie. They all think it is a bad idea and Barney explains why. The Platinum Rule means you should never date someone you will see on a regular basis. Barney explains that such relationships never work out in the end and lead to never-ending suffering as those involved would constantly see each other. Barney explains the eight stages which this relationship inevitably goes through and applies his theory on three previous failed relationships: his own dating of Wendy the Waitress in 2005, Marshall and Lily befriending their neighbors in 2006, and Robin dating co-anchor Curt Irons in 2007.
The stages are:
- Tipping Point
- Fall Out
- Co-existence (added by Ted)
- Ted thought another dermatologist, Sarah, was perfect for him too when Love Solutions showed her to be a good match in Matchmaker.
- Ted's date with Stella is later shown in Ten Sessions.
- Ted mentions the Hot-Crazy Scale from How I Met Everyone Else and the Lemon Law from The Duel when ranting about rules.
- Barney's paranoia that Wendy the Waitress is going to kill him makes appearance again in Sorry, Bro, when they had lunch together once after their break-up, where Wendy tried to return his purple-and-black tie, but Barney screamed and ran away from her, believing that she's pulling a gun out of her bag.
- Curt "The Ironman" Irons makes another appearance in Sorry, Bro, as he tried to return Robin's handgun.
- Ted argues that if his relationship with Stella "does fail, so help me God, it is not going to be because of some rule." Ironically, in Shelter Island, Stella leaves Ted at the altar because he violates the rule of never inviting an ex to one's wedding.
|Wendy:||Wow! That was an interesting use of the beverage gun!|
|Barney:||Club soda can get anything off.|
- —After having sex behind the bar
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- Charlene Amoia - Wendy
- Kristen Schaal - Laura Girard
- John Sloan - Michael Girard
- Hayes MacArthur - Curt "The Ironman" Irons
- The Platinum Rule at the English Wikipedia
- The Platinum Rule at the Internet Movie Database
- The Platinum Rule at TV.com
|The Yips||The Platinum Rule |