|“The Naked Man”|
| First aired:|
November 24, 2008
Ted walks in on Robin's date, Mitch, attempting to perform a technique he's dubbed "The Naked Man", to pick up girls. When the gang find out that it worked on Robin, Lily, Barney and Ted all attempt it.
| This page or section uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia's The Naked Man article. (view authors).
You can contribute to the How I Met Your Mother Wiki by rewriting the copied content.
He comes home later that day, passing by Robin talking on the phone outside. When he enters his apartment, he finds Mitch, Robin's blind date, sitting naked on the couch. After an awkward exchange, Ted leaves and tells Mitch to take the seat cushion he's on with him, as it's trash now. After hearing from Lily that the blind date had been going badly, Ted goes back and confronts Mitch again, who tells Ted about his "move", The Naked Man, where one takes advantage of a distraction in order to get naked in front of their date in hopes of sex, by means of confidence or by pity. Ted tells the gang about the move's effectiveness (2 out of 3 times), and they proceed to rebuff the claim, thinking Robin may end up shooting Mitch instead. Taking the notion seriously, they storm back to Ted's apartment to find a makeshift "Do not disturb" sign hanging from the doorknob.
Convinced that The Naked Man indeed works, Barney believes it will revolutionize the one night stand, comparing it to the forward pass or the slam dunk, much to the chagrin of Lily, who still believes Barney has feelings for Robin. Barney then likens himself to Batman, with his secret identities and "gadgets", and Mitch to Superman, citing that he "just rips off his clothes, and he's good to go."
Ted's still amazed that The Naked Man worked on Robin. She tries to explain herself when Marshall calls her a slut, saying that the only reason to sleep with someone is true love, namely because he was recently strong armed into reading The Notebook by the secretary's book club at work. Everyone disagrees, and Lily claims she can name at least 50 reasons to sleep with someone while everyone but Marshall helps (some of the reasons mentioned include being unable to fall asleep, expiring condoms, and breakup sex). Stuck on 46, Lily resolves to finish her list as Barney tries to convince Ted into doing The Naked Man with Vicky on their upcoming date while he goes out to attempt The Naked Man himself. As Barney's getting ready, he calls Ted to let him know that he's going through with it. To his surprise, Ted is too after he realized that there was no future between him and Vicky, mainly because she is incredibly rude to a waiter.
On their second date, Robin's tries to start up small talk with Mitch, who realizes that they're on a "I'm not a slut" date, and tells Robin that she's out of his league. After debating which pose to display themselves in, Ted finds a copy of some of his favorite poetry in Vicky's apartment and decides to put his clothes back on. When he finds out that the book isn't even hers, he busts out The Naked Man, as does Barney on his date, and Lily on Marshall.
Ted tells Lily and Marshall at the bar of his success with The Naked Man, and they tell him that it worked out for them as well. Robin, still trying to defend herself, brings Mitch with her to the bar. Marshall takes back what he said, to Robin's relief, and she lets Mitch leave. Ted thanks Mitch for the move, saying that it worked for everyone. Marshall decides to call Barney to see how it worked for him. As it turns out, Barney fails and was forced to leave her apartment naked. Even leaving his cell phone. Which was then thrown in the toilet after the call was ended. (The "Naked Man" having worked 2 out of 3 times; Ted and Lily succeeded while Barney failed) Ted proposes a toast to his hero Mitch, The Naked Man.
Meanwhile. Barney is roaming the streets naked trying to get home. Embarrassed and having to hide from other people. He comes across some cheap suits on a rack outside but was not interested in any of them. So he continues to roam naked.
- One of the reasons to have sex Robin gives is "He said he loved you but you're not ready to say it back yet", at which point Ted gives her a weird look. Ted says "I love you" to Robin on their first date in the Pilot, and they argue about when to say it in First Time In New York.
- Lily informs Marshall that she once had sex with him because she couldn't fall asleep, having woken him by asking "Want to do it?". In Zip, Zip, Zip, she complains that their relationship has devolved to the point of Marshall simply asking her this whenever they have sex.
- Barney mentions having performed a variant of the Naked Man in Come On when he explains that waiting naked in a girl's bed wearing whipped cream undies does not work.
- Future Ted's list of strange things he has walked in on in the apartment includes seeing the goat on May 8th, 2009. He tells part of the story of the goat in The Goat, before realizing the incident took place a year later, and concludes the tale in The Leap, which indeed occurs in May 2009.
- Don mentions reading about the Naked Man on "some guy's blog" (presumably Barney's) when he tries it on Robin in Rabbit or Duck.
- Mitch discovers the 2/3 success rate of the Naked Man on St. Patrick's Day in 2008, after it fails with the Mother, as seen in How Your Mother Met Me, where his career as a music teacher is also revealed.
- Main article: The Naked Man (gallery)
|Future Ted:||Kids,everyone has an opinion on how long it takes to recover from a breakup.|
|Lily:||Half the length of the relationship.|
|Marshall:||One week for every month you were together.|
|Robin:||Exactly 10,000 drinks. However long that takes.|
|Barney:||You can't measure something like this in time. There's a series of steps. From her bed to the front door. Bam! Out of there. Next!|
|Vicky:||And then his cane missed the top step and I swear he was falling for, like, two minutes. Oh, I love old people.|
|Barney:||All these years, I have been busting my hump with my secret identities and my tricks and my gadgets. I mean, I'm like Batman. But this Mitch fellow? He's Superman. He just rips off his clothes and he's good to go.|
|Robin:||Are you wearing make-up?|
|Ted:||It’s not make-up, ok? It’s a sunscreen with a subtle tint… (Everyone looks at him mockingly) It’s made for men! (They keep looking) Sue me! I want my eyes to pop!|
|Ted:||I still cannot believe the "Naked Man" worked on you.|
|Robin:||Well, what can I say? Okay, I went in there, and he was naked. It was funny. I laughed, he laughed. And then it just kind of happened. I don't know.|
|Marshall:||I call "slut!"|
|All:||Slut?! Oh?! Oh!|
|Marshall:||I'm sorry,Robin, but you hooking up with this guy makes it seem like the only thing standing between you and sex is clothes.|
|Lily:||There's "makeup" sex Ooh. "breakup" sex, Hmm and "your friend just told you about a new-position" sex.|
|Barney :||You're welcome. There's also "revenge", "rebound", Mm-hmm. "paratrooping". You know, when you go out of town but instead of getting a hotel room,you go straight to a bar with the sole intention of hooking up with a girl so you have a place to stay.|
|Robin:||Oh,you mean "banging for roof.|
|Marshall:||(fake coughing) Slut!|
|Robin:||I don't do it. My college roommate did it.|
|Marshall:||Oh,no,no,Robin, I just have a bad cough.|
|Marshall:||(coughing) I don't really have a bad cough. We all know "college roommate" means you, slut!|
|Marshall:||Does anyone have a lozenge?|
|Marshall:||Well,thank you for ruining the memory of our six-month anniversary.|
|Lily:||You got me Cheetos.|
|Marshall:||Look, can we just stop with this stupid list? Okay, you guys are making me sad.|
|Lily:||No, I'm having fun. Man, this whole "one-partner" thing sucks sometimes. I'm always talking about you. I can't play "I never" because then everyone would know all the weird stuff I let you do to me.|
|Marshall:||The only weird thing I ever did to you was open up my heart and soul when all I had to do was strip naked while you were out of the room.|
|Robin:||I didn't sleep with Mitch because he was naked! Mitch and I have something special. I mean,fingers crossed,guys. He may be the one.|
|Marshall:||The one?! Mitch?! The Naked Man?|
|Barney:||You mean the naked genius. All these years I've been suiting up when I should have been suiting down. That's it. I am doing "The Naked Man" tonight.|
|Ted:||"The Naked Man" works! I just had decent sex with an awful human being. I am back!|
|Lily:||You're not the only one who rocked "The Naked Man" tonight.|
|Ted:||Oh, my God! Guys,guys, guys! This is him! This is "The Naked Man"|
|Robin:||Um, Ted, his name is Mitch. And, um, he's my boyfriend.|
|Marshall:||So It's okay, Robin. I no longer call "slut"|
|Robin:||Oh, okay. You can go we're done.|
|Ted:||A toast to Mitch. By the sum of his parts, he is just a man. But by what he does with those parts, he becomes so much more. He may not fit society's definition of a hero, but he is the hero I needed. The hero who helped me recover from the disaster of my failed almost-marriage and get back into the game. He lives in the shadows. Is he a dream? Truth? Fiction? Damnation? Salvation? He is all these things and none of them. For he is "The Naked Man.|
- —Ted talking like a voice off like in the TDK film ending.
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- As Ted recalls strange occurrences at his apartment, one of them is a goat in his living room on May 8, 2009. The goat was first seen in Ted's bathroom on his 30th birthday as mentioned in Ted's voice-over narration in Milk. During The Goat, Future Ted stated that the goat in his bathroom was actually on his 31st birthday, which would be April 25, 2009.
- When Lily is about to write down the "50 reasons to have sex," she takes her pen out of her purse, takes off the cap, then grabs her cocktail napkin. But two camera shots later, she is again taking off the pen cap. She's actually putting the pen cap on the other end of the pen
- When Barney's date yells at him and throws him out, as she turns back towards the camera her lips are visibly not moving, even though her voice can be heard.
- When Ted is explaining the weird things he has walked in on at the apartment, a scene is shown from dated from 2004 in which he walks in on Lily painting several gymnasts posing. If this had taken place in 2004, Lily would have still had red hair.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- The idea of 'The Naked Man' is actually first described in Doogie Howser, M.D.'s "Spell It...M-A-N!". The description parallels what Ted does with Vickie, but in Doogie Howser, the guy isn't as fortunate as Ted.
- The ending of the episode is similar to that of Christopher Nolan's 2008 film, The Dark Knight, where Commissioner Gordon provides a narration of how Batman is the hero Gotham deserves, but doesn't need.
- When Ted is standing around naked in Vicky's apartment, he opens a book of love poems by Pablo Neruda and discovers it is bookmarked to his favorite poem, which appropriately is Desnuda Eres ("Naked, You Are..").
- Some of the poses they used referred to the Captain Morgan rum logo, Superman, the Heisman Trophy, Mr. Clean, the Coppertone Baby pose, Rodin's The Thinker, and actor Burt Reynolds.
- The Naked man describes his technique as a mixture of surprise and pity or "shock and awww", a play on the military technique of rapid dominance known as Shock and awe.
- Barney describes The Naked Man as being like a superhero, the Superman to Barney's Batman, contrasting the Barney complicated approach, gadgets, gimmicks, secret identities and suiting up, to the simple very opposite idea of taking it all off.
- When Ted admits he is wearing tinted sunscreen because he wants his eyes to pop, it is a reference to makeup artist Carmindy from the television series What Not to Wear.
- Gorgeous Behaviour - Marching Band
- At the end when Mitch is walking down the street, he has two shadows: one projected on the pavement and another projected onto the wall behind him.
- According to DVD commentary, "The Naked Man" is a real concept that one of the writers performed "ten to twelve times" when he was younger.
- The German episode title is "Nackter Mann", an exact translation. The French episode title is "Ciel, un homme nu", meaning "Oh My God, a Naked Man!".
- International Airdate: Australia: June 10, 2009 on Channel 7; Germany: January 02, 2010 on ProSieben; United Kingdom: February 4, 2010 on E4.
- The 4 crazy things Ted recalls having come home to are (in order of appearance):
- November 26, 2004 - Two acrobats posing for one of Lily 's painting ("Sorry guys, I'm just gonna go with a bowl of fruit")
- July 16, 2007 - Barney attempting to escape from chains while inside a water-filled tank with Lily & Robin standing by with axes and Marshall timing ("It's been twelve minutes")
- December 15, 2006 - Robin defending the apartment against two armed would-be burglars by pointing her gun at them, Lily and Marshall are cowering on the couch ("Put the guns down now!")
- May 8, 2009 - The Goat ("Baaaa")
Lily's 50 Reasons to Have SexEdit
- Because you can't get to sleep.
- Make-up sex.
- Break-up sex.
- Your friend told you about a new position.
- Paratrooping/Bangin' for roof.
- Nothing good on TV.
- Because you're in a hotel.
- It's raining.
- It's half time.
- Celebrate recent weight loss.
- You finally get the chance to show your childhood bed some action.
- Prom night.
- You're already at their place and don't want to have to move your car.
- Show off new lingerie.
- Celebrate major victory by favorite team and/or political candidate.
- Your chance to do it in a specific location (ex: airplane, Burger King bathroom).
- To prove we're not in a rut.
- Stress relief.
- Just shaved legs.
- Forgot to buy a birthday present.
- "Lets Get It On" by Marvin Gaye is playing on the radio.
- Celebrating the joy of life after a near-death experience.
- Your one chance with a celebrity.
- Time an egg.
- To avoid cleaning, studying or work of any kind.
- She wants to.
- It's cold outside.
- Cheer someone up (pity).
- Keeping up with the neighbors.
- Your roommate is out of town and you can do it on the couch.
- Some very protected sex to celebrate the fact that I'm not/we're not/you're not pregnant.
- They have air-conditioning and you don't.
- Because he/she is from one of the countries you haven't had sex with a person from yet.
- "Damn, your calves look good in those cargo shorts" sex.
- Called/texted the wrong person but she was into it anyway.
- Because she looked like your superhot cousin and this is the closest it'll ever get to being okay.
- Breaking in a new apartment.
- Because he said he loves you and you're not ready to say it back yet.
- Wingman diving on the friend grenade.
- Your condoms are about to expire.
- It's getting a little hard.
- Miscommunication (cheetos sex).
- To reinforce good behavior (such as shaving + good dental hygiene).
- To change the subject.
- Candace Moon - Cristina
- Courtney Ford - Vicky
- Adam Paul - Mitch
- David Tran - Busboy
- Kevin Michael Walsh - Burglar #1
- Jim Woods - Burglar #2
- Donna Bowman of The A.V. Club graded the episode "A-". 
- Cindy McLennan of Television Without Pity rated the episode with a grade "A-". 
- Michelle Zoromski of IGN gave the episode 8.5 out of 10. 
- The St. Petersburg Comic Review gave this episode 9.5 out of 10 stars. "...'What, Mr. Wang's is back in business?' ... 'Wow, this is getting a little hard. Forty-six.'..."
- The Naked Man at the Internet Movie Database
- The Naked Man at TV.com
- The Naked Man at the English Wikipedia
|Woooo!||The Naked Man |