|“The Magician's Code - Part One”|
| First aired:|
May 14, 2012
While Marshall is in Atlantic City with Barney, Lily goes into labor, leaving him desperate to make it back to New York before the baby is born. Meanwhile, Ted and Robin try to distract Lily during her painful contractions.
Continuing from the previous episode, Lily has gone in labor, while Marshall is in Atlantic City with Barney. When Ted and Robin arrive at the apartment to take her to the hospital, she tells them that she can't get admitted unless her contractions are four minutes apart. She then asks Ted and Robin to tell her stories to distract her from the pain. They later take her to the hospital when she is ready.
Since Marshall and Barney are both intoxicated and can't drive back to New York, they try to find other ways to get back. Barney promises to take Marshall back if he promises the middle name of his son will be "Wait-for-it" and Marshall agrees. Barney then finds two seats on a senior citizens' bus to New York, but they later realize that the bus is going to Buffalo, not New York City. Marshall begs the driver to take a detour to New York City so that he can get to the hospital, but the driver tells him that he is not allowed to make a stop, unless it is an emergency. However, after Barney gives an impassioned speech in Marshall's defence, a few passengers fake a heart attack, forcing the driver to make a stop and Marshall and Barney finally reach the hospital when Lily is ready to push.
While in the waiting room, Ted and Robin make up, and become friends again. Marshall then comes out of the delivery room, telling them that he is a dad. The gang then gathers around the baby and Lily, who tells them that the baby is named Marvin, after Marshall's dad, with his full name being Marvin Wait-for-it Eriksen, fulfilling Barney's conditions for getting Marshall back to New York. Everyone then welcomes Marvin into the world.
- Ted has made a website referring to Lily giving birth (www.lilysinlabor.com), with Lily getting angry about him emailing it to everybody. Lily was previously angry at Marshall for making videos about their parties with other couples, as noted in the The Sexless Innkeeper.
- Marshall is seen wearing his "Mad at Lily Shirt," with the words: 'Marshall and Steph 4eva'.
- Lily does not want her father anywhere near her during medical emergencies. Lily's strained relationship with her father was first revealed in Slapsgiving 2: Revenge of the Slap.
- Robin's story about being sent to live on a farm by her father after kissing a boy is an expansion of her story in Happily Ever After.
- Robin says that she has delivered twelve babies, one of which was human. This is a reference to the on-air delivery she did on her show Come On, Get Up New York! in The Front Porch.
- The scene where Dr. Sonya says "Lily, if you don't push, I'll shove this baby out your throat and pull it out of your mouth" was already shown in The Stinson Missile Crisis.
- A sign saying "No Motorcycles On The Casino Floor" was put up at the casino in Atlantic City, because of Barney. This is a similar incident to the one in Disaster Averted; the sign in front of MacLaren's saying: "Absolutely No Boogieboarding".
- Barney previously mentioned his distaste of women from Buffalo, New York in Sweet Taste of Liberty.
- It is shown that Marshall has smoked his last cigarette in Atlantic City as stated in Last Cigarette Ever.
- The scene when Marshall becomes drunk in Atlantic City and says "All Hail Beercules" was already shown in The Naked Truth.
- The matching jacket to his 'cursed pants' make another appearance in Who Wants to Be a Godparent?.
- Robin's excited reaction to the homeless man fighting the cab driver shows her infatuation with fights. This was first shown in The Fight.
For a listing of all images on the wiki tagged as being from this episode, see Category:The Magician's Code - Part One images.
|Lily:||Where the hell is Marshall?!?!|
|Dr. Sonya:||Lily, if you don't push, I will shove this baby up your throat and pull it out of your mouth!|
|Barney:||Tell them the full name.|
|Lily:||Marvin "Wait-for-it" Eriksen|
|Dr. Sonya:||Weak women disgust me.|
|Marshall:||The middle name is wait-for-it...|
|Lily:||(in labor) I can't wait anymore!|
|Marshall:||No, the middle name is Wait-for-it.|
|Lily:||(in labor) Oooooh! That is the coolest name of all time!|
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- Ted is shown to be dressed as John Bender from the Breakfast Club, even though he is said to have dressed as a "Hanging Chad" every Halloween for a decade.
- Robin says she was thirteen when her father caught her kissing a boy, but in Happily Ever After she says she was fourteen.
- During the scene when Barney is talking to the bus driver you can see what it'd be the wire of his mic covered behind the ducky tie.
- During the story of the Cuban Sandwich Crisis, Robin is show with her Blackberry Torch. However, the events of the story occur when Robin and Ted were dating in 2006, well before that phone was made.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- Marshall speaks like Yoda while being drunk.
- Robin claims she spent some private time with Neil Young at her bedroom.
- Marshall imagines an ATM screen as actually showing scenes from the 1986 video game The Legend of Zelda.
- Ted reminds Lily of the gang trick-or-treating on Halloween as characters from the The Breakfast Club but they all dress as John Bender.
- Barney tries to pick up women as the Terminator. He wonders why he is unable to pick up any women in biker attire and later tries doing it nude, impersonating Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice.
- Elderly passengers on the bus back to New York stand up one by one and say "I'm having a heart attack" in the same manner that the slaves declared "I'm Spartacus" in the 1960 film "Spartacus".
- You Were Born - Cloud Cult
- The chinese note Marshall finds in his pants says 翼商场先生 or Mr. Ming's Store.
- This episode was orignally going to be called Tell Me a Story.
- Chris Elliott - Mickey Aldrin
- Vicki Lewis - Dr. Sonya
- Caine Sinclair - Joe
- Nikki Stanley - Kate
- Paul Eliopoulos - Homeless Man
- Max Daniels - Cab Driver
- Francesca Capaldi - 7-Year-Old Lily
- Ken Takemoto - Elderly Chinese Man
- Bobby C. King - Security Guard
- Mike Grief - Bus Driver
- Katie Enright - Nurse
- Brenda Ballard - Fran
- Elliot Goldwag - Alfred
- Vivian Smallwood - Leila
- Natalie Padilla - Banana Peel Girl
- Scott Workman - Security Guard #2
This episode, along with The Magician's Code - Part Two, was viewed by 8.49 million people. 
Donna Bowman of the AV Club gave the episode a B, stating that much happened in the episode even if there were contradictions along the way while the outcomes of certain events are attempts at misdirection. 
Entertainment Weekly's Michelle Profis stated the episode does not leave anything for the audience to contemplate before the next season but left some emotional moments such as the baby being named after Marshall's father. 
Ethan Alter of Television Without Pity gave the episode a C+. 
Robert Canning of IGN gave the episode 8.5 out of 10. 
- ↑ http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/05/ratings-news-15th-may-2012.html
- ↑ http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-magicians-code,73636/
- ↑ http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/how-i-met-your-mother-season-7-finale/
- ↑ http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/how-i-met-your-mother/the-magicians-code-part-1.php
- ↑ http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/122/1224661p1.html
- The Magician's Code - Part One at the English Wikipedia
- The Magician's Code - Part One at the Internet Movie Database
- The Magician's Code - Part One at TV.com
|Good Crazy||The Magician's Code - Part One |
|The Magician's Code - Part Two|