| First aired:|
November 4, 2013
When Robin and Loretta's conflict escalates, Barney is caught in the middle. Meanwhile, Marshall and Daphne deal with a stowaway on their road trip, and Ted and Cassie try to enjoy a trip to a lighthouse.
It's 9 AM on Saturday and Barney is caught in the middle as Robin and Loretta continue to feud over the blouse Robin won in The Poker Game. The three of them, joined by Lily, sit down to brunch together as Robin flaunts the blouse in Loretta's face and escalates the feud when she claims her mother makes better scrambled eggs than Loretta. Barney tries to avoid taking sides, but he and Lily and many of the inn's patrons praise Loretta's eggs. When Robin is unable to cook scrambled eggs herself, she concedes defeat. When Loretta questions how Robin will care for her children if she cannot cook, Barney admits to his mother than Robin cannot have children, something Robin had confessed to him the previous fall. Lily tries to comfort Robin by suggesting that Robin's mother can show Loretta up when she arrives, only for Robin to reveal that her mother was too afraid to get on a plane and will not come to the wedding. Loretta makes peace with Robin and tells her to call her "Mom" from now on.
Marshall and Daphne stop overnight at Mrs. Mosby's house to wait out a storm. Clint, Ted's stepfather, notices the tension between them and tries to resolve it. They decline his offer and soon set off again, but they bicker even worse than before. Marshall states that maybe Clint was right, causing him to reveal himself as he had stowed away in hopes they would take his advice. He tries to help them but only makes matters worse and, after they both make fun of his efforts, he snaps and starts yelling. He demands they pull over so he can meditate and regain his calm. After Daphne tells Marshall that he'll never get any respect until he starts taking charge, Marshall drives off without Clint and expresses that he is furious with how Daphne forced him to prematurely reveal his decision to become a judge to Lily. He takes charge of picking the music, forcing Daphne to listen to I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles); when a horrified Daphne states she hates the song, Marshall tells her to give it time.
Meanwhile, Lily has been angry since learning that Marshall has accepted a judgeship, constantly breaking glasses in fury whenever something court-related is mentioned. When Ted tries to go see a local lighthouse and the clerk won't help him since he is single and lonely, Lily's alcohol-fueled anger leads her to poorly advise Ted to settle for Cassie, whom he'd spent the previous evening consoling, and take her to the lighthouse and fall in love with her. Ted reluctantly attempts to take her, even after she displays little compatibility with him. Making matters worse, she trips and sprains her ankle and Ted is forced to carry her to the top of the lighthouse, after which he throws up. Ted later realizes that settling would have been a mistake and he was glad he didn't. A flash-forward reveals that Ted took the Mother there two years later and proposed, which she enthusiastically accepted.
| This page or section uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia's The Lighthouse (How I Met Your Mother) article. (view authors).
You can contribute to the How I Met Your Mother Wiki by rewriting the copied content.
- Robin previously won Loretta's blouse in The Poker Game. Also Lily reminds Barney the sentence that she said in that episode: "Happy wife = Happy life".
- The Lighthouse is first mentioned in the episode Coming Back when Curtis suggested that Lily and Marshall should visit its grounds and notes that it's "super romantic."
- Curtis was introduced in Coming Back, and his attitude towards Ted is the same as in said episode.
- Marshall's quirks while driving, such as Zitch Dog and 500 Miles were first introduced in Arrivederci, Fiero.
- Robin's infertility is first revealed in Symphony of Illumination. It was hinted that Barney knew about it in The Fortress.
- Ted previously stated that he has been "vomit free since '93", but it was revealed in Game Night that Ted did vomit once in his adult life on Robin's door mat after the events of the Pilot
- Cassie slips on the Toy Car on the stairs in the Farhampton Inn that has been sitting in the same spot for several episodes.
- When Robin and Barney are hugging, he asks if it's weird that they're hugging in the first place, she disagrees until it begins raining, where they both say "Yeah, now it's weird" which was a line previously used in The Broken Code when Barney and Ted were on the beach.
- The underground bar Robin and Barney has been to when Robin tells Barney about her infertility is the same bar that Ted went to with Carly Whittaker in Ring Up.
- Marshall has been listening to I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) during road trips on his Fiero as first shown in Arrivederci, Fiero, since the cassette was stuck in the tape recorder and it was the only song that would play.
|Ted:||You didn't even let me..|
|The Mother:||Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! YES!|
|Barney:||Mom, I'm not marrying some future possibility of starting a family. I'm marrying a girl. Who means more to me than kids. Or my career. Or even the Lambor-cuzzi, patent pending.|
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- Ted says this was the second time in his adult life he has vomited. However, in Jenkins, Ted mentions he vomitted all over himself playing the Robin Scherbatsky drinking game.
- However, Ted could have just been saying that to get his point across.
- Also in Ring Up, Ted says the gray hairs in his eyebrows were from the dried egg cream he had projectile vomited and then roller skated into. Making this another time he had thrown up in his adult life.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- Barney references famous rock hits during the 70's inspired by Loretta's scrambled eggs such as ZZ Top's "She's Got Legs", Led Zeppelin's "Ramble On", "The Joker" by The Steve Miller Band, and Pink Floyd's concept album; "The Dark Side of the Moon."
- Sherri Shepherd - Daphne
- Anna Camp - Cassie
- Frances Conroy - Loretta
- Harry Groener - Clint
- Cristine Rose - Virginia
- Roger Bart - Curtis
- Robert Belushi - Linus
- Rob Gleeson - Waiter
Featuring Rachel Axler.
The episode was viewed by 8.67 million people.
Donna Boeman of The A.V. Club gave the episode an A.
Max Nicholson of IGN gave the episode a 7.8 out of 10.
Angel Cohn of Television Without Pity gave the episode a C-.
- ↑ http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/11/05/monday-final-tv-ratings-dancing-with-the-stars-and-castle-adjusted-down-no-adjustment-for-sleepy-hollow-or-mike-molly/213621/
- ↑ http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-lighthouse,104794/
- ↑ http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/05/how-i-met-your-mother-the-lighthouse-review
- ↑ http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/how-i-met-your-mother/the-lighthouse/
|No Questions Asked||The Lighthouse |