|“The Front Porch”|
| First aired:|
March 16, 2009
Karen breaks up with Ted. He discovers that Lily was responsible and has been meddling with his relationships for years. The gang stays up late to watch Robin's morning show and Barney is seduced by Marshall's nightgown.
| This page or section uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia's The Front Porch article. (view authors).
You can contribute to the How I Met Your Mother Wiki by rewriting the copied content.
The episode begins with Robin asking her friends if they would watch her talk show, which airs at 4 A.M. The group reluctantly agrees to stay up and watch. Ted then turns up and informs them that Karen has broken up with him, after finding Robin's earring in Ted's bed, thinking that he and Robin had sex. As everyone prepares to watch Robin's show, Ted discovers another earring of Robin's on Marshall's dresser and mutes the television to confront Marshall, believing him to have sabotaged his relationship with Karen.
As extreme events occur on Robin's show (she starts crying while showing a picture of the gang, she saves the host of the cooking segment when he catches fire, she resuscitates the weatherman after he's had a heart attack and finally she delivers a baby live on camera), still muted, Lily confesses that she has been breaking Ted up with girls who she didn't see passing the "Front Porch Test" - an indication of how they would all live together once they were old. A scene is shown of Marshall, Lily, and Ted in the far future playing bridge (though clearly, none of them know how to play). Robin returns from the show to learn the truth behind her break-up with Ted, which Lily insists she did not want to happen. Ted heads into the bar the next day to find Karen waiting, having had the situation explained to her by Lily. Karen hands Ted a letter from Lily, which contains an apology, and lets Ted know that Lily has prepared a fine dinner in The Apartment for him and Karen. Ted breaks up with Karen anyway after she says Ted cannot ever see Lily again and he imagines what the future would be like without her and Marshall. Returning to the apartment, Ted asks Robin to be his "plus one" and they enjoy the meal Lily prepared. They wonder whether or not they would still be together if not for Lily's intervention. Ted then makes a mock proposal to Robin, asking her to be his "backup wife". She accepts.
Meanwhile, Marshall wears a nightshirt to the pajama party, while Barney wears a silk suit. Barney insists his clothing choice is superior, citing the possibility of attractive women coming to his home at night and seeing how good he looks, but then admits how unlikely that is and uncomfortable the "suitjamas" are. Marshall then convinces Barney to try one. Barney and Marshall delight in their nightshirts, having a dream about flying together in them. Barney starts wearing nightshirts to sleep. A week later, an attractive woman shows up at his apartment at night — but, upon seeing his nightshirt, she decides to leave, much to Barney's chagrin.
- Marshall says "Bridge!", as he did in Game Night.
- When Ted reads Lily's letter, it also says "PS. I had to read this Marshall." This is a reference to how in We're Not From Here.
- Marshall being something of a sore loser as previously seen in Little Minnesota.
- Lily's painting from The Duel is sitting above the fireplace in Lily and Marshall's apartment.
- Ted and Robin make a deal that they would get married when they're still single by the age of 40. Barney attempts to cut the same deal with Robin in The Rough Patch, but she reminds him of her previous deal with Ted. The pact is later dissolved in No Pressure.
- Robin mentions Kim Jong-il riding a horse which was also brought up in The Wedding Bride.
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- The photo of Marshall's and Lily's wedding picture is shown with Marshall (having a bad photo) as seen further in Say Cheese.
- The photo of the gang Robin displays on her show is the photo supposedly taken a year after Intervention. The timing is off as this is only five months after her decision to move to Japan.
- Marshall refers to Karen as "the first person to touch his (Ted's) wiener besides himself, his mom and his pediatrician". However, Ted's first sexual partner was Molly, as seen in a flashback scene in First Time In New York.
- It is possible that though Karen was not who Ted "scored a homerun" with, he may have reached the other bases with her.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- When Marshall is stating the 5 reasons why he wears a night shirt to bed instead of pajamas, the brief dream sequence of him flying is a reference to the film The Big Lebowski.
- When Lily is confronted by Ted regarding her role in breaking up his relationships, the encounter is a reference to Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson in the film A Few Good Men.
- When Barney sees Marshall in his night shirt he makes some references to Peter Pan, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and A Christmas Carol.
- In one flashback, apparently taking place in 2002, Lily disguises herself as Darth Vader to end one of Ted's many relationships. Ted is dressed as Luke Skywalker and Marshall as Chewbacca. All of this happened while the duo was waiting in line to see Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones.
- During the same flashback, Lily says "Live Long And Prosper" which is the famous line by Spock from Star Trek.
- Man in Me - Bob Dylan
- Laura Prepon - Karen
- Jessica Anderson - Hot Woman #3
- Italia Ricci - Hot Woman #1
- Nikki BreAnne Wells - Hot Woman #2
- The Front Porch at the English Wikipedia
- The Front Porch at the Internet Movie Database
- The Front Porch at TV.com
|Sorry, Bro||The Front Porch |
|Old King Clancy|