|“The Exploding Meatball Sub”|
| First aired:|
April 11, 2011
Marshall's change of career upsets both Lily and Barney. Zoey's steps to stop Ted's GNB headquarters project causes problems between them.
| This page or section uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia's The Exploding Meatball Sub article. (view authors).
You can contribute to the How I Met Your Mother Wiki by rewriting the copied content.
Marshall has been growing increasingly displeased with his job at GNB, and is considering quitting soon to get a job with the Natural Resources Defense Council. Lily assures him that he has her full support no matter what, despite Barney pointing out Marshall’s new job would have considerably less pay. Lily’s resolve is tested, however, when Marshall later quits GNB and begins work at the NRDC, but only in a volunteer position (as all the paid positions have been filled). Marshall later offers his home to host an NRDC fundraiser, and Lily takes Ted to pick up a guest from the airport. When they arrive, however, Lily reveals she has grown fed up with Marshall’s plans, worried that her future may be in jeopardy due to the lack of income. She promptly leaves to head to Spain, a trip she had been hoping to take with Marshall but may now seem impossible. Later, at the fundraiser, Ted attempts to tell Marshall about Lily, but she makes a surprise return and assures Marshall again he has her support. Ted’s glance at her causes Lily to begin to reveal her doubts, but Marshall thanks Lily for her support and states that he will begin looking for another job with pay.
Robin discusses Graduation Goggles with the gang. She says that as soon as you are about to leave, quit or break up with someone or something, you start to enjoy everything you hated about it before because you realise that it will all be gone once you leave. Examples of Graduation Goggles were; when Robin was going to break up with Scooby, she started to enjoy his dog-like kissing; when Marshall was about to quit GNB, he began to like the paperwork, dirty jokes etc, and when Ted almost broke up with Zoey, he began to like being challenged again. Robin said that you can't trust Graduation Goggles, because you will grow to hate them again.
Upon hearing Marshall’s decision to quit GNB, Barney is considerably shaken, prompting Robin to wonder if it is because of Barney’s recent estrangement from his father. After Robin witnesses Barney tearing up his office, the two finally talk about it. Barney explains the real reason, leaving Robin in disbelief as it is over a trivial incident: some time ago, Marshall had pointed out some marinara sauce on Barney’s clothes while eating a meatball sub. Extremely irked by this comment, Barney spent months plotting his revenge, designing an exploding meatball sub to give to Marshall. Marshall had quit on the day Barney had planned to have Marshall receive the sub, prompting Barney’s anguish.
In the end, ten years later, Barney is shown apparently on his death bed, with his grieving friends beside him. Barney tells Marshall to eat a meatball sub he has as his last request; the sub promptly explodes in Marshall’s face, and Barney reveals he isn’t actually sick, laughing at his success, as it was all a ruse to get Marshall to take the sub. When Ted points out some marinara sauce on Barney’s clothes, Barney begins eyeing Ted in the same vengeful way he had with Marshall.
- Scooby previously appeared in A Change of Heart.
- It was hinted at the end of Natural History and Garbage Island that Marshall would quit his job and not remain a corporate GNB lawyer.
- Marshall was accepted for a NRDC job in I'm Not That Guy, but he is successfully tempted to take a more lucrative job offer from Nicholas, Hewitt, and West in the same episode.
- Barney is seen wearing his suit pajamas which is first introduced in The Front Porch.
- Ted describes Marshall and Lily as one married blob in Duel Citizenship. Their codependance is first mentioned in Showdown.
- Barney's weak knowledge of geography was previously seen in Woooo!.
- Barney has used whiteboards to plan his schemes previously in Milk and Shelter Island.
- After the meatball sub explodes Future Robin shows the same "angry look" from Robin 101
|Barney:||Wile E. Coyote wasn’t trying to sleep with the Road Runner.|
|Robin:||Or maybe he was.|
|Barney:||Well then you're not going to be able to pay for that trip to Spain that you've been planning. Say goodbye to riding around in gondolas, and eating bratwurst, and seeing the pyramids.|
|Robin:||I don't think you know what Spain is.|
|Barney:||Well, I know that a trip there costs some serious Lira|
|Barney:||Where? I want his autograph!|
- —Barney's poor grasp of geography strikes again.
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- In the end of the episode when Barney is in his "deathbed", he is not in a pajama suit.
- The absence of a pajama suit can be ruled as character involvement.
- In The Best Burger in New York, Barney insists on not having Chinese since he does not like it. Later in this episode he asks Robin if she wants Chinese for lunch.
- When talking about Wile E. Coyote and The Road Runner, Robin says "she wants it" (referring to the Road Runner). However, the Road Runner is male, so Robin should've said "he".
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- Ted and Zoey argue about the Chris Farley and David Spade comedy movie "Tommy Boy" whether it is a retelling of Henry IV or Don Quixote
- Robin thinks Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner could have a relationship despite the fact they are enemies like Ted and Zoey are.
- While arguing with Lily, Ted says that she has large Japanese anime eyes, referring to the distinct style of Japanese animation.
- Ted mentions the Spanish word for money, dinero, while Barney thinks he is talking about the actor Robert De Niro.
- Barney quotes Woody Allen "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans"
- Barney narrating a wacky evil revenge plot while wearing a white lab coat with goggles resembles Neil Patrick Harris's character in Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.
- A Barney's Blog entry was not released for this episode.
- Jennifer Morrison - Zoey Pierson
- Tamara Camille - Woman
- Bruce Gray - Senior Partner
- Elizabeth Nicole - Random Girl
- Robbie Amell - Nate "Scooby" Scooberman
- Edward Flores - Marc
- Daniel Escobar - Professor Rodriguez
This episode premiered to 6.804 million viewers.
Donna Bowman at the A.V. Club gave the episode a B+.
Angel Cohn at Television Without Pity gave the episode a C.
Robert Canning at IGN gave the episode a 6.5 out of 10.
- ↑ http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/04/12/tv-ratings-monday-chuck-mad-love-law-while-castle-trounces-hawaii-five-0/88977
- ↑ http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-exploding-meatball-sub,54367/
- ↑ http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/how_i_met_your_mother/the_exploding_meatball_sub.php
- ↑ http://au.tv.ign.com/articles/116/1161221p1.html
- The Exploding Meatball Sub at the English Wikipedia
- The Exploding Meatball Sub at CBS Press Express.
- The Exploding Meatball Sub at the Internet Movie Database
- The Exploding Meatball Sub at TV.com
|Legendaddy||The Exploding Meatball Sub |