|“The Drunk Train”|
| First aired:|
February 13, 2012
For Valentine's Day, Lily and Marshall invite Robin and Kevin on a weekend getaway to Vermont, where Kevin and Robin discussing taking their relationship to the next level. Meanwhile, Barney realizes he has finally met his match.
The episode begins with the gang sitting at the bar and Lily showing off her pregnant child's "kicking abilities". Marshall and Lily say that they should get going or they will end up having to ride The Drunk Train, the last train to Long Island with all the drunk people on it. (Later, Barney and Ted would ride this train). Marshall and Lily take Robin and Kevin to Vermont for Valentine's Day and Lily and they mention that a secret for a healthy relationship is to listen the other person's opinion, and never to keep score (which they actually do).
Back in their room, Kevin casually proposes to Robin, to which she responds "I need to think about this." The next night, Robin reveals to Lily and Marshall that she will never be able to have kids. She reveals this to Kevin and he proposes a second time, to which Robin says yes. Back at the apartment, Kevin tells Robin that his mother has set a date for the wedding. He tells Robin that there are other ways to have children, but Robin tells him that she doesn't want kids. Kevin persistently says that he still wants to marry Robin. But Robin says that Kevin always wanted kids, and she can't owe this to him for the rest of their lives. Kevin then ends things with Robin.
Meanwhile, Barney and Ted revisit their previous night at a club in which Ted's date with Randi went badly but Barney landed up secretly connecting with Quinn. When Barney and Ted ride the Drunk Train two days in a row, but fail to hook up with anyone. One the third night, they get drunk, and two drunk girls ask them to come with them, but Barney passes. Ted then realizes that Barney likes Quinn, who he's been complaining about the entire time. Barney reveals to Ted that he and Quinn slept together at his apartment. Ted tells Barney that he is on The Drunk Train because he has no one can't thinking about, but Barney does and he is wasting his time on the train. Barney denies that he has feelings for Quinn, and takes one of the drunk girls home, but he tells her he can't do this and when she asks if he has a girlfriend, he tells her that maybe sometime he will.
At the end of the episode, Robin is shown smoking and crying on the apartment's rooftop. Ted comes outside and she tells him everything. She tells him that she was finally ready for something serious, But Kevin couldn't look past this. When she says that no one will ever looks past this, Ted says that he can, and tells her that he loves her. Meanwhile, Quinn and a friend are shown doing makeup in a bathroom. Quinn's friend tells her that she has been talking so much about Barney lately that she thinks she likes him. Quinn replies that she liked his apartment and his "move downtown," but not him. It is then revealed that the two girls are actually strippers at the Lusty Leopard and Quinn's stage name is Karma.
- Barney mentions he has "Enormous Penis Syndrome" to Quinn at a party. This lie was first used by Barney as Lorenzo Von Matterhorn in The Playbook.
- Robin finally reveals she cannot have any children to Marshall and Lily, and later Ted. This was first mentioned in Symphony of Illumination. Only Barney does not know about this now.
- Karma (Quinn's stripper name) was previously mentioned in The Bracket. It is unknown if they are the same person.
- Barney uses his Legen-wait for it-dary catchphrase, but this time he messes it up and says "It is Epic... wait for it... dary! No wait that isn't right."
|Marshall:||It’s hard for the little guy to perform under pressure.|
|Barney:||Top 10 things Marshall said on his wedding night.|
|Kevin:||It’s small, but I think I feel something.|
|Robin:||Top 10 things Lily said on her wedding night.|
|Marshall:||Stop laughing at it, Lily.|
|Everyone:||Top 10 things Marshall said on his wedding night!|
|Barney:||This is going to be Epic... wait for it... dary! Wait, no, that's not it... How do I usually say it? I hate this Quinn girl!|
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- During the scene where Marshall & Lily are on a couples retreat with Kevin & Robin, the camera alternates back & forth between Robin twisting her wine glass & playing with a spoon.
- In the flashforward where Marshall & Lily are debating who will check the baby, they are at their house in Long Island. Marshall & Lily move back to the apartment before their baby is born, clarifying that their child never spent a night in the house in Long Island.
- While Ted and Barney were in the Drunk Train, Barney talked to a girl who then rips a portion of his suit. Later, in Marshall and Lily's house in Long Island, Barney's suit is intact.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- Rivers and Roads - The Head and the Heart
- In that episode while Marshall, Lily, Kevin and Robin were dining and talking in a restaurant Marshall mentioned that Barney is Scorpio. That means Barney's birthday must be in between October 24th and November 22nd.
- On The Drunk Train, Barney is talking to a woman which clearly is upset about someone named Vinnie. Barney says that Vinnie is a jerk and that she should forget about him. This makes the upset woman angry, and she ruins Barney's suit. The Vinnie mentioned here could be a reference to the Vincent "Vinnie" Delpino (portrayed by Max Casella) who was the best friend of Doogie Howser (portrayed by Neil Patrick Harris) in the show Doogie Howser, M.D., which had its original run from 1989-1993.
- Becki Newton - Quinn
- Kal Penn - Kevin
- Melissa Soso - Jenni
- Guy Nardulli - Vinny
- Nicole Zeoli - Lindsay
- Lindsey Morgan - Lauren
- Nicole Shabtai - Gina
- Johnny Giacalone - Ronnie
- Rachel Bloom - Wanda
- Kim Hildago - Randi
- Brandi Burkhardt - Candice
Featuring an interview with Becki Newton.
The episode received 9.10 miilion viewers. 
Donna Bowman of the AV Club gave the episode a B+, stating that Marshall and Lily's story inter-cutting with Kevin and Robin's made it a "return to form" after the disappointment of the previous episode. 
Alan Sepinwall of Hitfix.com said Robin's breakup with Kevin and Ted's admission of feelings for her is part of Victoria's warning at the end of Ducky Tie coming true. 
IGN rated the episode with an 8/10.
Ethan Alter of Television Without Pity gave the episode a C-, stating that he dreaded the consequences of Ted's confession to Robin for the rest of the season.
- ↑ http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/02/ratings-news-14th-february-2012.html
- ↑ http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-drunk-train,69114/
- ↑ http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/how-i-met-your-mother-the-drunk-train-shes-the-one
- ↑ http://tv.ign.com/articles/121/1218652p1.html
- ↑ http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/how-i-met-your-mother/the-drunk-train.php
- The Drunk Train at CBS Press Express
- The Drunk Train at the English Wikipedia
- The Drunk Train at the Internet Movie Database
- The Drunk Train at TV.com
|The Burning Beekeeper||The Drunk Train |