|“The Best Man”|
| First aired:|
September 19, 2011
While Barney prepares for his wedding to a mystery bride, he and Ted reminisce about Punchy's disastrous wedding, including when Marshall and Lily announced they are having a baby. Meanwhile, Robin considers telling Barney she has feelings for him.
Future Ted opens by telling his kids that timing is everything, and if it weren't for timing, he never would have met his wife at "a wedding." Further defined as "The last wedding I ever thought I would be at," but it was never stated which wedding he meant.
Flash to the wedding, and Barney asks Ted for his help choosing a tie, and reveals his fears that he may have chosen the wrong woman to settle down with. He begins to wonder if this will be the worst wedding ever, but Ted stops Barney and reminds him that they've already been to the worst wedding ever: Punchy's wedding, which Marshall ruined.Flash back to the present day, September 2011, and Ted is alone in MacLaren's Pub, working on his best man speech for Punchy's wedding. The gang enter, and Ted asks for their advice about his speech. Robin wonders why he's putting so much effort into the speech, and Ted reveals that he's already given a few best man speeches for other high school buddies, and they went horribly.
Barney tells Ted he should ditch the speech. Ted recently had an article published about him in New York Magazine, and Barney tells him to use that to impress girls.
Robin tells Barney that he shouldn't be giving Ted dating advice, considering he never even called Nora after she gave her his number. Robin offers to buy a round of drinks, but Lily and Marshall stop her. The two of them recently found out Lily is pregnant, but Lily doesn't want to reveal it to anyone until she is three months pregnant. This means she can't drink alcohol, but she also can't let anyone know why she can't, otherwise they might discover her secret.
At Punchy's wedding, Barney plans to use this out-of-state opportunity to try out different plays to seduce women, so that he can use the successful techniques back home in New York. Punchy greets the gang, offering them free drinks. Marshall is forced to secretly drink all of Lily's drinks for her, and very quickly gets drunk.
Robin watches Barney flirt with women, and tries to pretend she doesn't have feelings for Barney. However, Lily sees through this. Robin recounts how their relationship already failed once, and they shouldn't try again. Lily tells her that they have chemistry, and Barney must feel it too, since he never called Nora and is almost intentionally striking out with women tonight.
Meanwhile, Ted is worried about his speech, even more so when he realizes that other wedding guests are hoping that he will have another breakdown. Barney tells Ted he should just brag about the magazine. Ted is too humble to do so, but a drunk Marshall decides to do it for him. Marshall talks Ted up about his article to a few different guests, but quickly gets distracted when he sees different babies.
Lily convinces Robin to either tell Barney her feelings or, if she definitely doesn't want to get back together with him, tell him so that he can move on too. Robin agrees, and approaches him. However before she can speak, Barney pulls her onto the dance floor, and the two dance passionately.
The two stop dancing, still held in each others arms. Before Robin can tell him how she feels, Barney gets a call from Nora. Before he answers, Barney reveals he actually did call Nora, five times, and asks Robin what he should say to Nora. Robin starts telling him what to say, her words mirroring her exact feelings for Barney. Barney recites every word to Nora, who decides to give Barney a second chance.
Meanwhile, Marshall approaches Lily, holding a baby, and tells her that he can't keep her pregnancy a secret any longer. Lily tells him no, but upon holding the baby, softens up and decides to share the news with the rest of the gang.
Robin spots Ted out on the wedding balcony, and the two share a cigar. Both of them are feeling bad, but Robin doesn't want to talk about why. Ted tells her that while all his high school friends at the wedding have families and kids of their own, Ted only has his career. He admits that he no longer believes that the right woman is out there for him anymore.
Robin tells him to start believing again, and not to cry at his upcoming toast. However, Lily, Marshall and Barney soon come out to the balcony, and Lily reveals she's pregnant.
Soon after, Ted cries in the middle of his speech, while other guests film and laugh at him. Marshall takes the microphone from Ted and tells the audience that Ted's tears are tears of joy, because Lily is pregnant. However, Kelly, Punchy's wife, thinks Marshall is talking about her, and accidentally reveals to the entire audience that she is pregnant. This starts a huge fight between Kelly and Punchy's fathers, ruining the wedding.
Back at Barney's wedding, Ted comforts Barney by telling him he made the right choice. Lily comes in the room Ted and Barney were talking in and tells Ted that Barney's bride-to-be wants to see him. Ted leaves the room and Lily questions Barney's actual tie, causing him to change it. It is unknown whether he changed his mind on just the tie, or the bride as well.
- Ted recounts different tragedies of his life in each of his failed best man toasts; getting left at the altar by Stella, being fired from his job, and the starting and failing of Mosbius Designs.
- Barney uses the 83% statistic again, claiming it is his success rate. Ted however claims that Barney's statistics are "always the inverse", suggesting only 17%.
- Ted mentions the Ducky Tie, which is later seen in the episode Ducky Tie.
- There are several meaningful headlines on the cover of magazine Ted is featured in:
- "Honeywell & Cootes: Planet Earth's Personal Bodyguard" is the law firm that contacts Marshall in the next episode.
- "By George: Is Van Smoot Van Smitten?" is clearly about George Van Smoot, last seen in Garbage Island. This could be hinting towards another appearance.
- "Willem...Dafoe!" made an appearance in Robots Versus Wrestlers, and is even spelt out the way Marshall jokingly pronounced his name as a frog and bird.
- The headline "Mystery vs. History: Is it better not to know?" refers to Mystery vs. History, another episode of Season 7.
- NYC Next Great Architect? Which is Ted!
- Jeanette Peterson has been stalking Ted since this episode. He will eventually meet her in P.S. I Love You.
- Barney also uses a suit metaphor in The Leap to admit his feelings for Robin to Ted.
- Main article: The Best Man (gallery)
|Barney:||What do you think of this tie?|
|Ted:||Ohh, thank God. Barney needs you right before his wedding, you assume there's at least one dead hooker in the closet. (laughs and discretely checks the closet)|
|Barney:||Is this one better?|
|Ted:||Look, the tie is great, and it's perfectly normal to have some pre-wedding jitters.|
|Barney:||I'm not having jitters. It just occurs to me that once I put this tie on I can never take it off. I have to wear this tie forever, and ever. And sure, this tie is skinny now, but what happens if it gets fat and starts bossing me around? Did I make a mistake, would I have been happier with the other tie? (pause) Ted, can I tell you a big secret?|
|Barney:||I'm not really talking about the tie.|
|Ted:||Yeah, I got that, buddy|
|Barney:||Here's your toast, single file ladies! No fatties!|
|Barney:||Yeah you're right, it's Cleveland. Single file ladies.|
|Barney:||Get ready Cleveland. The last man to screw you this hard and then disappear was LeBron James.|
- —Barney imitates LeBron's chalk toss
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- In Sandcastles in the Sand, it is implied that Punchy's dad was recently deceased, with Ted offering condolences. However, in this episode he is alive and healthy at Punchy's wedding
- It is possible that Punchy's dad had a serious health problem before but didn't die.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- Everything is decorated in the colors of the Cleveland Browns.
- Lily yells Hakuna Matata! when she fake-downs her shot at the bar at Punchy's and Kelly's wedding reception.
- Punchy remixes one of Ted's best man speeches with Auto-Tune.
- Robin wishes that the Spice Girls would reunite.
- Barney pretends to have invented Facebook while flirting with a girl.
- Barney mentions LeBron James leaving the Cleveland Cavaliers during the wedding. Robin mentions Barney "LeBroning" the girls at the wedding.
- Under the Video of Ted's toast remix you can read in Finnish: "En haluaisi nähdä häntä hautajaisissa." ja "Tämä kaveri itkee enemmän kuin vauva, joka on saamassa ensimmäiset tehosterokotteensa!", the former of which can be translated to "I wouldn't want to see him at a funeral." and the latter as "This guy cries more than a baby getting his/her first vaccinations!"
- CBS made an actual video of Classic Schmosby Remix: How I Met Your Mother: Classic Schmosby the Remix
- Chris Romanski - Adam "Punchy" Punciarello
- Joe Nieves - Carl
- Stefanie Black - Kelly
- Shelli Boone - Bridesmaid
- Anthony Wayne Skeen - Clay
- Luka Yovetich - Nick
- Adam Tsekhman - Parent 1
- Lauren Halperin - Parent 2
- Gerrit Goossen - Finnish Guy
- Steve Tom - Kelly's Father
- Vince Cefalu - Punchy's Dad
Featuring an interview with Cobie Smulders.
This episode premiered to 11.00 million viewers.
Donna Bowman at the A.V. Club gave the episode an A-.
Angel Cohn at Television Without Pity gave the episode an A-.
Robert Canning at IGN gave the episode a 7.5 out of 10.
- ↑ http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/09/20/monday-broadcast-final-ratings-two-and-a-half-men-2-broke-girls-dwts-adjusted-up-castle-adjusted-down/104333/
- ↑ http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-best-manthe-naked-truth,61931/
- ↑ http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/how_i_met_your_mother/the_best_man.php
- ↑ http://au.tv.ign.com/articles/119/1195509p1.html
- The Best Man press release at CBS Press Express.
- The Best Man at the English Wikipedia
- The Best Man at the Internet Movie Database
- The Best Man at TV.com
|Challenge Accepted||The Best Man |
|The Naked Truth|