|“The Best Burger in New York”|
| First aired:|
September 29, 2008
When Marshall first moved to New York, he found a small burger place that made, "the best burger in New York". Now, to cheer up the jobless Marshall, the gang decide to track it down.
Future Ted tells his kids how rundown NYC was when he first moved there. But then things started to change around his neighborhood when new businesses started popping up, like the bank Barney's company just bought, Goliath National Bank which he advises Marshall to get a job with. Lily rebukes this suggestion, saying even though Marshall had been to a lot of bad job interviews, he was still going to be an environmental lawyer.
Later, the group go to the bar, and are advised by Wendy the waitress to have the burger, a new special from the new cook. After an argument, they agree to try the burger, mainly because Robin hadn't eaten anything in two days due to a new diet. Once the burgers arrive (Robin's is late), the group all say how good the burger is, except for Marshall, who says it's just 'OK', seeing as he's already had the best burger in New York eight years ago.
When Marshall first moved to New York, he was scared at first, but quickly finds the city is nicer than he thought. On his walk, he accidentally finds a burger joint, and has the 'best burger in New York'. He also notices an autographed picture of Regis Philbin on the wall, saying how good the burger was. Afterwards, he rushes to tell Ted about the place, but quickly forgets where it was, being new to the city. Since then, Marshall has tried every burger joint he can in an attempt to find the place, even meeting with Regis, who says he can't find where the place is either, and is also desperate to find it. He gives Barney his number so he can call him if he finds the joint.
When Robin says she knows the place, the group rush downtown to find it (before Robin can try her burger). On the way, Barney texts Regis telling him where to find the place, causing him to leave a TV show recording. They all order the burger (Robin's is late, again), and once more they agree it's an incredible burger. Unfortunately, Marshall says it's not the right burger. Marshall becomes desperate, and Lily says he's upset about not getting a new job. The group resolves to find the place for Marshall, and ask a waitress for help. She tells them this burger joint was modeled after another one, uptown.
Again, the group rush to the new joint. On the way, Regis calls, and Barney tells him about the new place. Once they arrive, Marshall is sure it's the right location, but in its place is an ATM from Barney's bank. Lily attacks Barney, and Marshall admits the reason Barney's been talking up the bank is that Marshall got a job there. While they talk, a guy nearby promoting a strip club tells them the place isn't gone, but has just moved. After paying him, thanks to the ATM, he tells them where the place is.
Finally, the group reach the joint, and Marshall says it's the right place, and the group enjoy their burgers, Regis then claims it's not the right place, only to turn around and reveal he was joking.
- In Marshall's flashback, the couch shown in The apartment is the same brown leather couch shown in Season 1 that was later exchanged for the red couch at the beginning of Season 2.
|Marshall:||Robin, it's so much more than just a burger. I mean, that first bite, oh, what heaven that first bite is. The bun, sesame-freckled breast of an angel resting gently on the ketchup and mustard below. Flavors mingling in a seductive pas de deux. And then, a pickle! The most playful little pickle. Then a slice of tomato, a leaf of lettuce, and a patty of ground beef so exquisite. Swirling in your mouth breaking apart and combining again in a fugue of sweet and savory so delightful. This is no mere sandwich of grilled meat and toasted bread, Robin. This is god, speaking to us through food.
—Marshall tries to explain to Robin about the burger
|Robin:||But its not open!|
|Robin:||But its Barbe Q!|
- —Robin starts digging for food in the trash can
|Barney:||I don't like Chinese.|
|Barney:||I just said, I don't like Chinese.|
|Ted:||Indian isn't Chinese.|
|Barney:||Weird meats, funny music, side of rice. Why are we splitting hairs?|
|Barney:||I just said, I don't like Chinese!|
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- In this episode, Barney claims he doesn't like Chinese food. However, in The Duel, he is seen eating it.
- Marshall describes the burger as a "sesame-freckled breast of an angel" but neither the burger at the beginning nor at the end is on a sesame bun.
- After hearing Marshall's lengthy description of the burger, Lily says, "and you got our wedding vows off the internet.", but as seen in Something Borrowed, Marshall had said his vows extemporaneously.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- Marshall's reference to knowing the place was on a numbered street is a joke on the fact that most of the streets in Manhattan are numbered either streets (east/west) or avenues (north/south)
- Two of the locations Future Ted mentions as being closed are The Elbow Room and Fez which were both real locations in New York City which are, in fact, now closed. The location where Fez used to be actually is now a bank, though not a GNB; it's a Wachovia bank.
- Marshall's lengthy description of the burger he ate eight years ago, in the supposed correct burger joint, was an allusion to Antonio Salieri's description of Mozart's music in the 1984 film Amadeus. 
- The exchange between Ted and Robin: "Tell her about the underpants."/"What about the underpants?" is an allusion to Ghostbusters (though the subject in the movie was, "the twinkie").
- Future Ted gives the date the events occurred as September 29, the air date. This underscores the fact that events depicted in episodes of the show generally correspond to real world dates.
The AV Club grade the episode B+. 
IGN gave the episode 8.6 out of 10. 
Television Without Pity rated the episode D.  This is the lowest rating given by Television Without Pity of all the episodes in Season 4. 
- ↑ http://www.clubplanet.com/Venues/71112/New-York/Elbow-Room
- ↑ http://nymag.com/listings/bar/fez/
- ↑ http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-best-burger-in-new-york,13209/
- ↑ http://tv.ign.com/articles/914/914583p1.html
- ↑ http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/how_i_met_your_mother/the_best_burger_in_new_york.php
- ↑ http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/how-i-met-your-mother/recaps.php
|Do I Know You?||The Best Burger in New York |
|I Heart NJ|