The origin of the phrase and Barney's suiting up is explained in Game Night. After his break up with Shannon, Barney found a suit store flyer bearing the slogan "Suit Up!". Feeling depressed, he took the flyer's advice (and the advice given to him earlier by the man who stole Shannon from him) and suited up for the first time, creating the Barney we know today. In Single Stamina, Barney explains why he and his brother James suit up; "to distinguish ourselves from the millions of T-shirt and jeans lemmings out there". In Girls Versus Suits, Barney performs a musical number detailing his love for suits and suiting up.
Barney mentions Suiting Up on many occasions, and is frequently frustrated by Ted's reluctance to ever Suit Up with him (although, on rare occasions, such as the Pilot and Moving Day, Ted does Suit Up at Barney's request).
Episodes Where Barney Didn't Suit UpEdit
- Okay Awesome: Barney didn't wear a suit to the night club.
- Monday Night Football: Barney does not suit up to go to the funeral. This is because he says that suits are supposed to celebrate happy events, unlike funerals.
- How Lily Stole Christmas: Barney is sick and wears something more comfortable.
- We're Not From Here: Barney doesn't suit up when posing as tourist.
- The Sexless Innkeeper: Barney only suits up half, wearing sweatpants after Lily and Marshall "dumped" him and Robin. However, he says that the sweatpants were Armani.
- The Playbook: Barney had to adorn a variety of non-suit costumes to trick women into sleeping with him, like a scuba suit.
- Girls Versus Suits: Barney didn't wear a suit to get with the hot new Bartender.
- Doppelgangers: Disguised as a cab driver and a street performer, Barney did not wear a suit.
- Lucky Penny: Barney runs NY Marathon in a tracksuit. This is open to interpretation, as to whether a tracksuit counts as a suit.
- The Yips: Barney suits down after learning that his first time with Rhonda was a lie.
- Stuff: Barney does not suit up when he does his one-man-show.
- Murtaugh: At the rave and when TP-ing the laser-tag battle field, Barney is wearing neon hipster clothes. He then pays Ted double ($30) for his finest suit.
|Barney "flight suit[s] up" for Halloween in Slutty Pumpkin.|
|Barney "Penguin Suit[s] Up" in Slutty Pumpkin.|
|Barney wears a special green suit to the club in No Tomorrow.|
|The suit Barney uses while he sleeps, until the episode The Front Porch when he started to wear a nightgown instead.|
|Barney "snow suits up" in Sweet Taste of Liberty, when building an igloo in Central Park. He unsuccessfully tries to get Ted to join him.|
|Barney decides to use his Christmas bonus from GNB in False Positive to buy himself a suit lined with actual diamonds known as "The Dibiase".|
|Friends & Family||Ted Mosby • Robin Scherbatsky • Marshall Eriksen • Lily Aldrin • Leslie • Loretta Stinson • James Stinson • Eli Stinson • Sadie Stinson • Jerome Whittaker • Cheryl Whittaker • J.J. Whittaker • Carly Whittaker|
|Places||MacLaren's Pub • Barney's apartment • Goliath National Bank • AltruCell Corporation • Lusty Leopard • Laser Tag • Stinson house • Puzzles|
|Phrases||Awesome • Suit Up • Legendary • Have you met • Wait for it • Challenge Accepted • What Up • Patent Pending|
|Others||Barney's Blog • 83 • Barney's magic • Barney's Wedding • High Fives • The Bro Code • The Playbook (book) • The Threeway Belt • Ducky Tie (object) • The Eight Slaps • Nothing Suits Me Like a Suit • Tuxedo Night • Barney's Get Psyched Mix • Party School Bingo • Platinum Rule • Lemon Law • Hot/Crazy Scale • The Mermaid Theory (theory) • Freeway Theory • The Chain of Screaming (theory) • The Ewok Line • Intervention banner • The International Date Line|