| First aired:|
May 5, 2008
Barney struggles to fill the void after his falling out with Ted. Stella and Ted fight when Ted reveals some personal information about her to the gang.
Ted decides that it is time for his relationship with Stella to take the next step. Stella is strangely reluctant, however, and she tells Ted a secret: she has not had sex for five years. Ted shares this with Marshall and Lily, as he does everything, and when Stella comes over on the night that she was meant to go out with Ted and they accidentally reveal that they know her secret, Stella is upset that Ted betrayed her trust and breaks up with him.
Meanwhile, Barney tries to find a "Rebound Bro" to whom he can be a wingman to help him bed women. He misses Ted and, unwilling to admit it, puts applications up on his blog. Receiving few responses except for an enthusiastic proposal from his colleague Randy, Barney resorts to calling up old friends and previous wingmen. After many unsuccessful attempts (one already has a wingman, one is married and has settled down, etc.) he decides to be the "Bro" to Randy and give him a chance. Unfortunately, he discovers that Randy hasn't had sex in thirteen years and Barney is repeatedly unsuccessful at getting him together with a woman, since Randy is uncomfortable with talking to women, and gets nosebleeds whenever he gets an erection. Barney is unsuccessful until he enlists Robin's help to make Randy comfortable with small-talk with women, telling Robin that he may have a sex tape with her to convince her to come and help Randy. Barney then discovers that Randy was a police officer, albeit one that was fired for incompetence; nevertheless, Barney knows being in the 'force' impresses women, and quickly finds a woman who takes Randy home with her. Barney seems happy until Robin comments that "Ted doesn't know what he's missing". Barney then tearfully remarks, "You had to mention Ted, didn't you?"
Stella comes to Ted's house and admits that she broke up with him because she was afraid it was getting too serious and she was looking for a reason not to get too close to him. Ted and Stella's relationship goes even further than expected as Ted meets Stella's daughter Lucy and gets to know her. Later, Stella tells Ted that her sister (who was previously meant to take care of Stella's daughter while Stella and Ted had sex) is still in town and can take care of Stella's daughter. Stella and Ted rush to a motel, where they finally have sex. When Ted jokingly picks up the phone to tell Marshall and Lily about it after the deed is done, Stella pushes him off the bed in an equally lighthearted manner.
- Ted mentions having not had sex in five months, and is reminded by Marshall that the last time he did was Thanksgiving, referring to Ted and Robin hooking up in Slapsgiving. This indeed occurred about five months before this episode.
- When Randy enters Barney's office, he hands him the new issue of Sky Mall magazine. In The Goat, Barney attempts to assuage his guilt over sleeping with Robin by buying loads of items from Sky Mall.
- Randy getting nosebleeds during erections is mentioned by Lily in Canning Randy.
|Ted:||Unexpected number of testicles?|
|Stella:||It happens. I knew a guy in med school, we used to joke he was one ball away from getting a walk.|
|Robin:||Yeah, your nose is bleeding like a faucet.|
|Randy:||Oh, God. This happens every time I get an erection.|
|Lily:||When Marshall and I had been together for two months, we were doing it 24/7.|
|Ted:||I know, I was in the top bunk. I also sat next to you guys at football games.|
|Marshall:||You haven't had sex since Thanksgiving. Do you know how many federal holidays have passed since then?|
|Lily:||Remember what we did on Martin Luther King Day?|
|Marshall:||Oh, yeah. We honored the hell out of that dude.|
|Robin:||Let me ask you something, Ted... why are you so much madder at Barney than me?|
|Lily:||Yeah... she had just as much sex with Barney as Barney had with her!|
|Robin:||You know what, I'm not sure that's true...|
|Randy:||Well, it's gonna be easier than you think. I have been reading your blog for years. You are like a god to me. That is why tonight is going to be legendary... wait for it... dary|
|Crazy Larry:||Awesome. You come over, the wife makes dinner and brings out the wine and cheese. We play Cranium, put in 27 Dresses at 9, and everyone's home by 11!
[Barney hangs up the phone, pauses, then picks it up and dials it again].
|Barney:||Hanging up on you once wasn't enough. (Hangs up the phone).|
- —Barney proposes a "bros night" to an old acquaintance
|Barney:||I am the greatest wingman of all time.|
|Robin:||Ted doesn't know what he's missing.|
|Barney:||You had to mention Ted.|
- —Barney answering to Robin with a broken voice when he and Ted are not bros anymore.
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- When Barney calls Randy in, Randy drops a box and leaves a man there, but when he goes to the same spot to celebrate being Barney's wingman, the box and the man have gone. However, the man may have left.
- When discussing the last time Stella had sex, Lily mentions that the longest she went without sex happened during her summer in San Francisco. She says that she "hadn't been with Marshall for two months and nineteen days" and the scene is shown in San Francisco, but in Where Were We? shows Lily returning to New York after 67 days, which is too short a time. But, Lily and Marshal didn't get back together until she had been back for awhile.
- This is not a goof. Two months and 19 days is roughly 80 days. That just means Lily was living on her own in New York for 13 days before she reunited with Marshall. Where it gets a little fuzzy is the reason Lily returned to New York is because Barney visited her and encouraged her to come back, and it's sort of implied that Lily realizes at that point her place is with Marshall. But apparently at some point during the return trip to New York she decided to live on her own until the gang discovered she was back in New York.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- After Ted describes their intimate plans as Stella's "Virginity: The Sequel," Stella replies, "Virginity 2: Electric Boogaloo?," which is a parody of the title of the 1984 movie, Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.
- Marshall mentions several things that happened in 2003, the last time Stella had sex:
- Barney prohibits the use of the word bro in the name of a failed Democratic Vice President candidate preventing Randy from using Broseph Lieberman, and Geraldine Ferrabro
- Stella could possibly be referencing her part on Scrubs, where she was a medical student and her colleague Christopher Turk (played by Donald Faison) had a testicle removed due to an injury resulting in testicular torsion.
- Love Saves the Day - Dimitri Ehrlich
- In Barney's blog, he asks people to apply for the position as his new "wingman".
- Later in season 7 one episode has similar name, The Rebound Girl.
- Sarah Chalke - Stella
- Will Forte - Randy
- Blair Hickey - Pete
- Bill Parks - Crazy Willie
- Dean J. West - Stapleton
- Donna Bowman of The AV Club rated the episode A-. 
- Omar G of Television Without Pity rated the episode B+. 
- The St. Petersburg Comic Review gave this episode 7.5 out of 10 stars. "Lily really enjoyed that earthquake. ... Barney's got a new wingman."
- Rebound Bro at the English Wikipedia
- Rebound Bro at the Internet Movie Database
- Rebound Bro at TV.com
|The Goat||Rebound Bro |
|Everything Must Go|