|“Now We're Even”|
| First aired:|
April 16, 2012
Just as Ted starts to settle into his new apartment alone, Barney tries to entice him into going out every single night. Meanwhile, Lily has a provocative dream about someone other than Marshall, and Robin finally becomes a famous news anchor.
Ted is beginning to get used to living alone. He tells Marshall all the things he feels free to do now, particularly being able to walk around naked and eating takeout food he saved for himself. But this new freedom coincides with a new plot of Barney's to "make every night legendary" by doing things like establishing a Mariachi band and bringing a horse inside MacLaren's. Barney insists Ted join him, but finally Ted balks at Barney's proposal to bungee-jump off of the Statue of Liberty. Barney locks Ted out of the apartment to make him go out on the town, but Ted just goes down to MacLaren's instead. Finally Barney admits that he needs Ted to take his mind off of Quinn stripping in the Lusty Leopard. Ted, deciding to help him out, takes up Barney's challenge to pick up a woman wearing a sundress.
Meanwhile, Marshall is distraught upon learning that Lily has had a sex dream about someone else that she refuses to tell him about. As they go out on a fancy dinner date, he notices the way she acts around Ranjit and decides that he was the one she dreamed about. He accuses her of "sleep cheating," and Lily angrily leaves him and seeks advice from Quinn. Later over dinner, Marshall and Ranjit talk about the dreams and Ranjit counsels him that part of being a good husband and father is remaining calm while everyone else acts crazy. Marshall realizes that all the men in Lily's sex dreams were all great fathers, and so tells Lily that everything is fine, telling her that he's going to be a great dad. Lily resolves to keep her wildest sex dreams a secret.
Although Robin has been promoted at World Wide News, she is hurt to see how she is the only one in the building that needs an ID to get through without recognition, telling Lily and Marshall that she wishes she were famous. Sandy Rivers asks her do a traffic report from a helicopter. When the helicopter pilot has a stroke, she is able to successfully land the helicopter. It is covered live on television. Everyone else watches breathlessly as Robin makes it to the ground safely. The incident made Robin an instant star - which resulted in her meeting Mayor Michael Bloomberg, appearing on Letterman, and having a special deli sandwich named after her. She gets a call or text from everyone she knows, including from Ted, even though he wasn't talking to her at the time.
- This episode shows the reason behind Ted's "Now We're Even" from the end of The Mermaid Theory.
- Marshall gets Lily away from the table by asking her if she needs to go to the bathroom. Lily's frequent urination was previously mentioned in Duel Citizenship.
- Barney copies a show/movie without knowing it has been done before. In Woooo! he does what Mad Men would do, and uses Inception in this episode.
|Ted:||Okay, now we're even!|
|Ted:||Oh, My favorite is when she banged George Washington.|
|Barney:||I liked the three way with Bill Cosby and Papa Smurf.|
|Ted:||Oh, he smurfed the smurf out of her!|
|Marshall:||You sleep-cheated. You've been sleep-sleeping around, I'm sick of it!|
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
Ted says it is the first time he doesn't have a roommate, however he did live alone for a few episodes after being left at the alter, while Robin was temporarily staying at Lily and Marshall's apartment.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- Ted and Barney form a Mariachi band.
- One of Barney's proposals for Legendary nights concerns seeking out Phil Collins to help him reunite Genesis.
- Future Ted told that Robin went to the late-night talk show, Late Show with David Letterman.
- Robin met the Mayor of New York City, Michael Bloomberg.
- Lily's previous sex dreams include George Washington and a threesome with Bill Cosby and Papa Smurf. Future Ted mentions she also had a dream involving Frankenstein and the teacup from Beauty and the Beast.
- Barney mentions how Ted once convinced the gang to watch the movie Norbit, during which Lily did not recognize that one of the antagonists was portrayed by Eddie Murphy.
- Barney says he spent five years trying to Inception Lily, but when Marshall points out the movie is only 2 years old, Barney replies: What movie?
- Hall of The Mountain King
- The shot of Robin on Letterman shown is taken from Cobie Smulders' actual appearance on the show.
- After Robin lands the helicopter, the soda machine that was in front of her picture is now in front of Sandy's.
- Becki Newton - Quinn
- Alexis Denisof - Sandy Rivers
- Marshall Manesh - Ranjit
- Eben Ham - Pilot
- Bryan Krasner - Gary
Featuring and interview with Chuck Tatham.
This episode was viewed by 7.24 million people.  This is the lowest number of viewers any Season 7 episode has received.
Donna Bowman of the A.V. Club gave the episode a B-. 
Chris O'Hara of TV Fanatic gave the episode 4.5/5. 
Robert Canning of IGN gave the episode 8 out of 10. 
Ethan Alter of Television Without Pity gave the episode a D+. 
Michelle Profis of Entertainment Weekly lauded the episode for its "eclectic mix" of multiple elements. 
- ↑ http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/04/17/monday-final-ratings-the-voice-mother-bones-2-broke-girls-2-5-men-castle-adjusted-down/129440/
- ↑ http://www.avclub.com/articles/now-were-even,72146/
- ↑ http://www.tvfanatic.com/2012/04/how-i-met-your-mother-review-final-score/
- ↑ http://tv.ign.com/articles/122/1223140p1.html
- ↑ http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/how-i-met-your-mother/now-were-even.php
- ↑ http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/how-i-met-your-mother-season-7-episode-21/
- Now We're Even at the English Wikipedia
- Now We're Even at the Internet Movie Database
- Now We're Even at TV.com
|Trilogy Time||Now We're Even |