Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| First aired:|
October 24, 2011
Kevin helps the gang realize that their partners remind them of one of their parents. Meanwhile, Barney and Nora's romantic evening doesn't go the way they planned.
In MacLaren's Pub, Barney tells the gang that tonight, after two months, he and Nora will finally sleep together, since she offered him a "special surprise" that night. However, as the night unfolds, several disasters take place that threaten to ruin the night. Nora loses a tooth while ice-skating, has a rat attack her on the streets of New York, and witnesses a suicide jumper off the roof of Barney's apartment building. However, despite all this, and Barney's worries that the night was spolied, the two of them still sleep together for the first time.
This causes a problem between Marshall and Lily. Lily feels she's not sexy anymore due to her pregnancy. This prompts Marshall to create a sensual board game, to help her feel sexy again. Lily's dad, Mickey Aldrin, is the only other person she knows that is as enthusiastic about board games as Marshall is. Remembering what Kevin said at the bar, Lily can't help but start thinking of Marshall as her Dad, completely ruining all the romantic things Marshall is trying to do.
On the other hand, Marshall realizes that Lily is just like his dad , further ruining the night.
Meanwhile, Kevin is concerned that Robin and Ted are too close, especially considering they are roommates and have a complicated past. Robin claims that she's only being particularly nice to Ted because he's so fragile; despite his desire to be married, he's currently single, and all his friends are dating. When Kevin confronts Ted, Ted tries to hold up a strong front, but eventually breaks down and reveals how vulnerable he is right now. Kevin takes pity on him and agrees to go to a Weird Al Yankovic concert with him, and the two become closer.
At the last shot, a girl walks up to Ted and they talk, after which Ted realizes she is just as his mother, but roles with it,
- When James remarks that Barney has slept with plenty of people's mothers, Marshall sympathetically pats Ted on the shoulder. Barney has mentioned his attraction to Ted's mom several times, as seen in How Lily Stole Christmas, Little Minnesota, and Home Wreckers, where it is estabished that Barney and Virginia made out following the events of Brunch.
- Kevin mentions his mother's favoritism towards his brother, an issue he previously brought up in Field Trip.
- The list of games Marshall has invented include Marshgammon from Game Night and Lilial Pursuit from Slapsgiving 2: Revenge of the Slap, and those that Mickey Aldrin created include Diseases from Slapsgiving 2: Revenge of the Slap and Dog Fight Promoter, as seen in Say Cheese.
- Barney performs another magic trick, making a roll of condoms disappear up his sleeve. His fondness for magic has been referenced previously several times, including in The Scorpion and the Toad and Intervention.
- Barney was previously seen playing "Barney's Favorite Things" in False Positive.
|Barney:||I can turn this around!|
- —Barney's reaction to all the disasters of his date with Nora.
|James:||The Pork Authority is closed. Looks like it's Hand Central Station for you little buddy.|
|Marshall:||You know what? I'm a real lucky guy, 'cause I married my dad.|
|James:||Ask me what I think of Nora.|
|Marshall:||What do you think of Nora?|
|James:||Lovely girl. Ask me what I really think of her.|
|Lily:||What do you really think of her?|
|James:||Guys, she's great, seriously. Just drop it. Ask me one more time.|
|Ted:||What do you really think?|
|James:||Fine! If you really must know, I do not like Barney with that woman! Happy?|
|Robin:||What could you possibly not like about Nora? Her hair? Her mousy little nose? The way she does everything perfectly? I mean, what's not to like?|
|James:||It's not that I don't like her. It's just, she's our mom.|
|Lily:||What do you mean, she's your mom?|
|Barney:||Oh, God, this night's ruined.|
|Nora:||Oh, come here, you. Yes, it's been a very tough night, but I still think we can turn this around.|
|Nora:||Why not? No sense in letting things get us down. How does that song go again?|
|Nora/Loretta:||♪ Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens ♪ Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens ♪ Brown paper packages tied up with strings ♪ These are a few of my favorite things ♪ When the dog bites ♪ When the bee stings ♪ When I'm feeling sad ♪ I simply remember my favorite things ♪ And then I don't feel ♪ So bad. ♪|
|Barney:||(sobbing softly) Mommy, no.|
|Lily:||No, I can't go through with this!|
|Marshall:||Thank God, me neither!|
|Lily:||You're too much like my dad.|
|Marshall:||You're too much like my dad.|
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- In the end scene where we see a flashback of Weird Al Yankovic receiving fan mail from a young Ted, it is mentioned in Ted's letter that he was eight years old. Ted was born on April 25, 1978, so at the time of the flashback on February 21, 1985, he would have been only six years old.
- The scene that showed Barney and Nora were in China Town, New York. Actually it's a scene in China Town in Bangkok, Thailand.
- Lily is seen eating while in bed, but in Twin Beds, Lily forbade Marshall of this because of ants.
After Barney says "don't wait up" to James when he and Nora are leaving the bar to go ice skating, we only see Barney walking away. Nora disappeared from the screen after their kiss. (Nora isn't visible becouse she is covered by Barney)
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- Marshall paraphrases the movie Jaws, saying "We're going to need a bigger booth.".
- Weird Al Yankovic makes an appearance, and Ted mentions several of his songs.
- Loretta is a Julie Andrews fan. She and Nora sing My Favorite Things from The Sound of Music.
- Ted has a documentary film about coin collecting that he says was produced by the actor who played Argyle in Die Hard. No such film actually exists.
- Barney's air guitar solos are a reference to those from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.
- The jumper Nora and Barney see when they are on Barney's balcony yells 'Goodbye cruel world' which is the same sentence the puppet yells in Neil Patrick Harris' episode 'The Lullaby' of 'Neil's Puppet Dreams'.
- When Ted is on the phone trying to find someone to go to the concert with him, he may be imitating Rob Schneider's SNL character, Richard Laymer ("The Richmeister").
- Wayne Brady - James Stinson
- Frances Conroy - Loretta Stinson
- Chris Elliott - Mickey Aldrin
- Bill Fagerbakke - Marvin Eriksen Sr.
- Cristine Rose - Virginia Mosby
- Weird Al Yankovic - Himself
- Kal Penn - Kevin
- Nazanin Boniadi - Nora
- Sathya Jesudasson - Mrs. Venkataraghavan
- Riley Thomas Stewart - Young Barney
- This episode was viewed by 9.87 million people.
- Donna Bowman of The AV Club gave the episode a B.
- Robert Canning of IGN gave the episode 6.5 out of 10. He says, "For the second week in a row, How I Met Your Mother chose to embrace a gimmick (or two) over its actual characters. This resulted in a handful of hallow laughs, but nothing all that memorable."
- Angel Cohn of Television Without Pity gave this episode a C.
- The St. Petersburg Comic Review gave this episode 7.5 out of 10 stars. "... what's Weird Al doing here?"
- ↑ http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/10/25/tv-ratings-monday-dancing-sing-off-fall-hart-of-dixie-rises-as-cbs-results-are-confused-by-local-football/108364/
- ↑ http://www.avclub.com/articles/noretta,63860/
- ↑ http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/10/25/how-i-met-your-mother-noretta-review
- ↑ http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/how-i-met-your-mother/noretta.php
- Noretta on SpoilerTV.com
- Noretta at the English Wikipedia
- Noretta at TV.com
- Noretta at the Internet Movie Database
|Mystery vs. History||Noretta |
|The Slutty Pumpkin Returns|