After his death, Tracy didn't date anyone for 7 years until she met Louis. A few years into dating Louis, he proposed to her in Farhampton. Tracy then realized that she hadn't actually allowed herself to love Louis as she hadn't moved on from Max. She has a conversation with the departed Max asking his permission to move on. The mother then says no to Louis's proposal.
- He bought a ukulele for the Mother on her 21st birthday, but dies before giving it to her. The Mother is playing the same ukulele the night Ted first hears her sing at the Farhampton Inn. She treasures it.
- He was the last boyfriend the Mother had before dating Louis. There was a seven year gap between them as Max died in 2005, and the Mother meets Louis in April 2012, around the same time as the events of Now We're Even.
- He died on the Mother's 21st birthday, in September 2005.
- How Max died is currently unknown.
- The way he died was probably quite sudden as nothing was mentioned about an illness before Tracy got the call about his death.
- Max is The Mother's Robin, the one she cannot let go of but he is gone. Reviews of the series finale observed that the mother returns to Max in death, mirroring Ted ultimately returning to Robin in 2030.
- His father is also deceased, as the Mother once remarks that Max is "probably up there [in Heaven] playing baseball with [his] dad."
|Friends & Family||Ted Mosby • Ted's kids • Louis • Cindy • Kelly • Darren • Max • Mitch|
|Places||The Mother's apartment|
|Others||Yellow Umbrella • Superfreakonomics|