|“Life Among the Gorillas”|
| First aired:|
March 20, 2006
Marshall changes his personality to fit in at his new job. Ted struggles with his long-distance relationship with Victoria.
| This page or section uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia's Life Among the Gorillas article. (view authors).
You can contribute to the How I Met Your Mother Wiki by rewriting the copied content.
Meanwhile, Ted struggles with his long distance relationship with Victoria. He feels guilty that Victoria has sent him three care packages and he hasn't sent her any. When he calls to thank her for the most recent care package, he impulsively says that he sent her a care package a few days ago. Ted asks Robin for advice about how to cover up his lie. Robin suggests that he assemble a care package with New York-themed things and top off the package with a New York Times from three days ago. When Victoria calls Ted to thank him for the care package, he accidentally falls asleep on the phone. Feeling guilty and frustrated, Ted plans to fly to Germany to visit Victoria. But when he is buying his ticket, Victoria sends him an email telling him that they need to talk that evening. Ted worries that Victoria is going to break up with him, but Robin reassures him that he is worried for no reason. The phone call from Victoria is four hours late. Future Ted ends the episode by using Bilson's game, and says 'Here's the real question, it's 2a.m. your friends are still out singing karaoke, but you're home early because you're expecting a call from your girlfriend in Germany who was supposed to call 4 hours ago. And then... the phone rings' Ted answers it, and Robin is on the other end, asking if he wants to come over. Future Ted then asks 'What do you do? Go.'
- This episode marks the first appearance of Bilson and Blauman at Barney and Marshall's office.
- Marshall wanting to go into environmental law is established, as is his conflict over going into corporate law instead to make more money for his and Lily's future.
- Barney manipulated Marshall into taking an internship at AltruCell in Cupcake.
Future References (Contains Spoilers)
- Ted ends up going to Robin's apartment, as seen in Nothing Good Happens After 2 A.M., where the rest of Robin's day, parts of which are seen here, is shown.
- When Marshall asks about Barney's job, he responds with a dismissive "Please".
- Trilogy Time shows that Marshall has been interested in environmental law since before law school. His dilemma of choosing between environmental and corporate law comes up again in many episodes, including I'm Not That Guy, The Chain of Screaming, and Natural History, and is resolved when he quits Goliath National Bank in The Exploding Meatball Sub and starts working for the environmental law firm Honeywell & Cootes in The Naked Truth.
- Lily says she wants Marshall to be an environmental lawyer even though they would have less money, a sentiment she reiterates in Natural History. However, in I'm Not That Guy, she encourages him to accept a high-paying job at Nicholson, Hewitt, and West to pay off her credit card debt, and in The Exploding Meatball Sub, she gets upset at him for quitting GNB and taking an unpaid internship at the NRDC.
|Marshall:||So, dude, check it. I'm in San Diego with two of my Brosephs from Kappa and they're all, "Yo, Eriksen, let's roll to the strip club!" So I'm like, "Snap-a-do!" So we find this choice nudey-nest near the airport...And that is when the bouncer kicked us out. Now, I have no idea if "Svetlana" ever got her green card but, dudes, fake diamond ring? Worth every penny, bra!|
|Marshall:||Wow, that is a boatload of motivation posters!|
|Barney:||Yeah, I got them all! Team work, courage, awesomeness…|
|Marshall:||There is one for awesomeness?|
|Barney:||Yeah, I had it made.|
|Marshall:||Blauman, it's E-dog. We still on for karaoke tonight? Dope. I'm gonna rock you on the mic so hard your ears are gonna bleed gravy. Catch you on the flip. (falsetto) Butt puppet.|
- —Marshall behaving like a "gorilla" while talking on the phone with a co-worker
"Dude, rockuppied!" -Barney
Notes and Trivia
Goofs and Errors
- When Ted is eating cupcakes at the bar and talking to Robin about the long-distance relationship, the side shot and the shot on Robin show a glass of milk in front of Ted. But when the shot focuses on Ted, there is no glass.
- When Marshall is looking in the mirror, seeing himself as a gorilla, we can see the mask on the side of the screen.
- In Best Prom Ever, Marshall's and Lily's song is said to be "Good Feeling", while here it is said to be "Don't Go Breaking My Heart".
- However, it is possible that Lily meant that "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" is she and Marshall's song for when they sing karaoke, and "Good Feeling" is their song in the romantic sense of the phrase.
- Earlier in the episode, Victoria says she will call Ted at 11pm. However, later on when Ted arrives home at 2am after karaoke, he says she should have called 4 hours ago making it 10pm.
Allusions and Outside References
- The "security guard" calls Marshall sasquatch and Big Foot.
- Marshall's coworkers ask him to choose between Jessica Alba and Jessica Simpson, the four Golden Girls (he picks Bea Arthur; his co-worker picks Betty White), and Angelina Jolie in a wheelchair and Scarlett Johansson with no arms.
- Marshall suggests that he could perform "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath.
- One of Marshall's co-workers compliments him on his tie as being steak sauce, referring to A1.
- Marshall shares a made-up story with his coworkers, which resembles the story Tim Roth rehearses and tells Joe Cabot in Reservoir Dogs.
- This marks the first time a cast member's spouse has appeared in an episode.
- Bryan Callen - Bilson
- Taran Killam - Blauman
- Tyler Peterson - Young Marshall
- Ashley Williams - Victoria
- Diane Salinger - Dr. Aurelia Birnholz-Vazquez
- Gregor Manns - Karaoke DJ
- The St. Petersburg Comic Review gave this episode 7.5 out of 10 stars. "Your package has always been big enough."
- Life Among the Gorillas at the English Wikipedia
- Life Among the Gorillas at the Internet Movie Database
- Life Among the Gorillas at TV.com
|Cupcake||Life Among the Gorillas |
|Nothing Good Happens After 2 A.M.|