| First aired:|
October 21, 2013
When Ted finds himself with three prospects to be his date for the wedding weekend, he chooses poorly. Meanwhile, Barney and Robin have a confrontation with their minister, and Marshall learns more about his driving companion, Daphne.
On Friday at 9:00 PM, 45 hours before the wedding , the gang (minus Marshall ) beginning the wedding weekend officially with drinks as Barney and Robin remind Ted that he has the chance to hook up with one of the single women who'll be attending that evening. Barney compares the choice with the one made at the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when Indy had to choose which of the cups was the Holy Grail and the wrong choice could mean Ted will have a miserable weekend. Barney and Robin present Ted with three choices: Sophia, Cassie, and Grace (who won't arrive until later). Although Barney suggests Sophia, Ted instead goes for Cassie when she arrives and mentions the two will probably have 'fun' that weekend.
When Lily meets the wedding's officiant, Reverend Lowell , she tells him the story of how she met Marshall, which causes him to angrily leave. Barney and Robin admit to Lily that they had stolen Lily and Marshall's story when they learned that Lowell would disapprove of the story of how they actually met and turn down the request for him to marry them. Though they manage to deceive Lowell again when they discover that Lowell believes that Lily is lying, Lowell realizes they are lying when they become indignant at Lily's insulting descriptions when Lily uses the story of how Barney and Robin really met as the basis of the "real" story of how she met Marshall. Robin and Barney beg him to marry them anyway, but he steadfastly refuses and tells them to leave the church. Barney admits they shouldn't have lied as he loves the story of how he and Robin got together and briefly touch on their sordid histories, only to find out a couple of minutes later that Lowell has died in his chair. This leaves them free to marry in the church, but without a minister.
Though Ted and Cassie seem to hit it off well, Ted's weekend plans quickly begin to derail with each choice he makes (emphasized by the appearance of the Knight from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade each time). Cassie becomes despondent and dependent on Ted when she learns that she has lost her job, where she was hated by everyone, her ex-boyfriend is also a guest at the wedding and has hooked up with Sophia, and her parents unsympathetically leave Ted to comfort Cassie after he meets them. When their attempts to become intimate become increasingly unlikely, Cassie graciously allows Ted to leave her so he can still enjoy his weekend. However, everyone already believes that he and Cassie are a couple; when Grace finally arrives, Ted's last attempt to find another date is ruined when he proposes a toast in memory of Reverend Lowell, only to discover that he was Cassie's uncle. Ted excuses himself and says goodbye to Grace as he is forced to spend the rest of the night comforting Cassie. Future Ted notes that all he did that night was choose poorly, so he didn't hook up with anyone that weekend. However, he now knows that if he had, he probably would never have met his wife and remarks that perhaps he had chosen wisely in the long-run.
During their long drive to Farhampton, Marshall tells Daphne of how he needs to be tough and convince Lily to give up her dream job in Italy so he can remain in New York and be a judge. Daphne tries to coach Marshall through the conversation and ensuing argument he is bound to have with Lily, but keeps forcing him to start over. When Daphne learns that Marshall has already taken the job, she chews him out for not considering his wife's wishes or her dream, telling him that her husband was the same in regards to her career. When Marshall asks what her job is, he is furious to learn that she is a lobbyist for a big oil company and believes that Daphne wants him to refuse the job because he is an environmentalist. Marshall later apologizes for yelling at Daphne and agrees that he needs to be fair with Lily and not tough. Daphne accepts and apologizes, as she was so angry with Marshall, she sent Lily a text message telling her about Marshall's new job and how he's already taken it. Marshall is horrified, as his phone begins to ring....
| This page or section uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia's Knight Vision#Plot article. (view authors).
You can contribute to the How I Met Your Mother Wiki by rewriting the copied content.
- Barney gets tossed an out-of-context electric guitar at the end of one of his made-up scenes, just like in Coming Back, and he also made appearances of that kind in The Astray.
- The noise that Robin's roommate makes in bed is the car alarm sound from multiple episodes including Lucky Penny and Canning Randy.
- The story of how Lily and Marshall met is told throughout the show, though primarily in How I Met Everyone Else.
- Robin and Barney use Marshall and Lily's nicknames for each other, Barnmallow (Marshmallow) and Robinpad (Lilypad).
- Robin mentions how Barney proposed to her, as seen in The Final Page - Part Two.
- Lily uses the phrase "Come again for li'l fudge".
- Marshall uses the word "convincered," a variation of lawyered.
- At the end of the episode Ted mentions the moment he met the Mother at the train station, as seen in Farhampton.
- The toy car from The Poker Game is still sitting on the stairs.
- Marshall's babbling after confidently stating that he doesn't need to prepare an argument is similar to "mouth words memory times" from Last Time in New York.
Future References (Contains Spoilers)Edit
- Barney and Robin will find a replacement to officiate the wedding in Mom and Dad.
- The toy car is visible, which Cassie will fall on in The Lighthouse.
- The gang will lie to Barney about pulling off Weekend at Barney's at his wedding in Rally.
- The text that Daphne sent to Lily will be the focal point of No Questions Asked.
- "What the damn hell" will be used often throughout the rest of the season.
Memorable Quotes Edit
|Barney:||They had to choose which cup was this special cup. I forgot what it's called. It's like ...the holy grail of cups!|
|Ted:||It's the holy grail.|
|Barney:||...of cups. Exactly!|
|Lily:||Yes. I do steal their stories.|
|Lily:||But only because my husband and I are so ashamed of how we met. See, we only met because his friend Ted fell in love with me. And who could blame him?|
|Ted:||Hey Marshall. See that girl?|
|Marshall:||Oh, yeah. You just know she likes it dirty. Go say hi.|
|Ted:||What? I can't just go say hi. I-I need a plan. Hmm. I'm gonna wait until she goes to the bathroom|
|Marshall:||Hi. Haaaave you met Ted? I'm sorry, I can't|
|Lily:||And now, after years of lying, cheating and backsliding, here we are, married! But what can I say? My husband's a sociopath who's slept with over a hundred women, and I'm a slut who once let my boss feel me up.|
|Barney:||Oh, come on!|
|Robin:||I felt him up!|
|Barney:||It is over 250 women!|
|Minister:||If you two want to get married in my church, you'll stop breaking the ninth commandment.|
|Barney:||Uh, no fat chicks?|
|Minister:||Thou shalt not lie!|
|Barney:||With fat chicks?|
|Barney:||You know what you're right. We shouldn't have lied about our story. I love our story; sure its messy buts it the story that got us here. About to get married.|
|Robin:||I love it too. Every messy chapter. I love that you slept with over 250 women; before deciding that I was your favorite.|
|Barney:||And I love that we just had to keep having sex with each other even when we were dating other people.|
|Robin:||And love that your marriage proposal involved the strip club, lying to me, and pretending to bang the woman I hate; for two months.|
|Barney:||I love that we keep a running tally of all the different rooms we've had sex in.|
|Robin:||I love that two weeks ago we put this room on that list.|
- —Barney and Robin admit that they love the story of how they got together.
|Knight:||She Chose Wesley. I've been dying to say that one all night.|
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- At the start of the episode, in the shot with the Farhamptom Inn exterior, it can be seen that it's night out, but the skies are clear. In the next shot, however, you can see it raining outside the windows.
- Robin mentions that Barney pretended to date Patrice for two months. They started dating in Lobster Crawl, which is after Twelve Horny Women, which took place on November 19. Barney got engaged to Robin on Christmas, so he only pretended to date Patrice for at most 1 month.
- When Ted is brought the check in the dining room, he immediately starts writing on it as if he's leaving a tip, even though he hasn't given a credit card yet. He also says that he paid for dinner, but he leaves the table before actually paying.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- The title is a pun on the term Night Vision.
- Barney references the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
- Lily's voice was previously dubbed over by another performer for humorous effect in Last Cigarette Ever.
- The only scene with The Mother is a flashforward to the Farhampton train station after the wedding where her face is hidden by the yellow umbrella.
- Sherri Shepherd - Daphne
- Anna Camp - Cassie
- Edward Herrmann - Reverend Robert Lowell
- India de Beaufort - Sophia
- Michael Rider - Knight Templar
- Joe O'Connor - Cassie’s Dad
- Joshua Hoover - Wesley
- Rob Gleeson - Waiter
- Skyler Vallo - Grace
Featuring Anna Camp.
- The episode was viewed by 7.64 million viewers.
- Donna Bowman of The A. V. Club gave the episode an A-. 
- Max Nicholson of IGN gave the episode a 6.4 out of 10.
- Angel Cohn of Television Without Pity gave the episode a C+.
- The St. Petersburg Comic Review gave this episode 7.5 out of 10 stars. "... Ted chose poorly..."
- ↑ http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/10/22/monday-final-tv-ratings-the-voice-how-i-met-your-mother-bones-hart-of-dixie-2-broke-girls-beauty-and-the-beast-mom-host/210607/
- ↑ http://www.avclub.com/articles/knight-vision,104483/
- ↑ http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/22/how-i-met-your-mother-knight-vision-review
- ↑ //http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/how-i-met-your-mother/knight-vision/
|The Poker Game||Knight Vision |
|No Questions Asked|