|Gallery of Kevin images (38)|
Kevin was originally Robin's court-ordered therapist, who she was forced to see after assaulting another woman.
Most of his patients are criminals who have been court-ordered to attend therapy, similar to Robin. He has a very relaxed, easy-going nature. He stopped being Robin's therapist because he was attracted to her, and they ended up dating.
Relationship with RobinEdit
When Robin assaulted a woman who was trying to meet with Barney, she was forced to attend mandatory therapy sessions to help manage and control her anger. This is where Kevin first met Robin. (The Stinson Missile Crisis)
They only had a small number of sessions together, before Kevin had to stop being her therapist, claiming that he was moving to Alaska. However, when Robin sees him entering a local diner, he revealed the real reason he stopped their sessions was because he was attracted to her, and it would be unethical to continue being her therapist.
At first, Kevin refuses to date Robin, since she was vulnerable and revealed a lot of personal information about herself when they first met. However, after a week of having breakfast together, they decide to start dating anyway. While in The apartment, they try to kiss but can't because they realize that it is creepy, because Robin shared intimate issues with him.. To solve this, Robin acts as his therapist and asks him to tell her personal details about his life so they become even. (Field Trip)Robin cheats on him with Barney. During the River Cruise, Kevin has a drink thrown into his eyes by Erika and is taken to hospital. Robin accompanies him when she decides to come clean. However, he tells her that he loves her before she can say anything. When Robin again tries to tell him the truth, he tells her that he doesn't want to hear it because it doesn't need to be said. Robin chose Kevin over Barney, when Barney tells her that they should get together and break up with people the are currently seeing. (Tick Tick Tick)
Robin thought she was pregnant and told Barney only he could be the father, because she and Kevin had not had sex yet. However, she later found out she was not. (The Rebound Girl)
For Valentine's Day, Lily and Marshall invite Robin and Kevin on a weekend getaway to Vermont, where Kevin asks Robin if she will marry him. She responds "I need to think about this". The next night, Robin reveals to Kevin that she will never be able to have kids and he proposes to her for the second time, to which Robin says yes. Back at the apartment Kevin tells Robin that there are other ways to have children, but Robin tells him that she doesn't want kids and asks him if he will really be happy never having children. He realizes that he does not, so he takes back his proposal and they break up. (The Drunk Train)
- Mother: Mrs. Venkataraghavan
- Brother(s): Naveen Venkataraghavan
- The Stinson Missile Crisis
- Field Trip
- Mystery vs. History
- Disaster Averted
- Tick Tick Tick
- 46 Minutes
- The Drunk Train
- Gary Blauman
Notes and TriviaEdit
- Kal Penn, who plays Kevin, has previously acted with Neil Patrick Harris in the Harold and Kumar series, Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay, and A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas, as Kumar Patel.
- As of The Stinson Missile Crisis, the main actors from Harold and Kumar have starred in How I Met Your Mother. John Cho as Jefferson Coatsworth, Kal Penn as Kevin, Danneel Harris as Nora Zinman and Roger Bart as Curtis (who do not appear in the first film), and (although only a recurring movie guest while Bart only acted in the second) Neil Patrick Harris as Barney Stinson. Also, if including the third Harold and Kumar movie, David Burtka and Thomas Lennon would be included in the list of actor crossovers, being the HIMYM characters Scooter and Klaus respectively.
- Kevin's role as Robin's love interest was originally going to be for Michael Trucco's character, Nick, in order to tie up a loose end that was written in Hopeless. After Trucco's show, Fairly Legal, was picked up for a second season, Kevin's character was created.
- The episode, Gary Blauman reveals that he eventually winds up with Jeanette.