Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Manganiello was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and raised in Mt. Lebanon, a suburb south of the city. He was a student at St. Bernard School, a Roman Catholic elementary school in Mt. Lebanon, and then attended Mt. Lebanon High School, where he graduated with honors in 1995 and won the school's Great Alumni Award in 2011. Growing up he was the captain of his football, basketball, and volleyball teams and went on to play at the varsity level in all three sports. Manganiello won the role of Jud Fry in his school's senior year production of Oklahoma!, and was involved with the school's TV studio. On weekends, he would borrow equipment to make movies with his friends, and became interested in acting to become a better amateur filmmaker.
After a series of sports injuries including a torn MCL returning a kickoff in a varsity football game against Ringgold High School, Manganiello auditioned for the Carnegie Mellon School of Drama as a senior in high school. He was not accepted, so enrolled at the University of Pittsburgh and worked at doing theatre. Manganiello re-applied to Carnegie Mellon a year later, and was one of 17 students accepted into the acting program. He performed in theatre productions and wrote, produced and acted in the student film Out of Courage 2: Out for Vengeance. Manganiello graduated in 2000 with a BFA in acting. Manganiello studied all styles of classical theatre while he was there.
Manganiello plays the role of werewolf Alcide Herveaux in HBO's True Blood. His character arrived on the third season of the series as a bodyguard, hired by Eric Northman for Sookie Stackhouse, when her romantic companion, vampire Bill Compton, goes missing. Manganiello's work on the show brought him both popular and critical recognition including 2011 Scream Awards for Breakout Performance – Male and a shared award for Best Ensemble, as well as a Saturn Award for Best Guest Starring Role in Television and a NewNowNext Award.
Upon completion of filming for season four of True Blood, Manganiello travelled to New York City to reunite with his Carnegie Mellon School of Drama classmate Matthew Bomer to shoot an episode of White Collar. He then headed to Atlanta, Georgia to shoot the film adaptation of the best selling book What to Expect When You're Expecting. Upon completion of the film, Manganiello then re-teamed with Bomer, and co-starred with Channing Tatum, Matthew McConaughey and Alex Pettyfer in the Steven Soderbergh-directed film Magic Mike.
- True Blood - Alcide Herveaux (2010-2014)
- Magic Mike - Big Dick Richie (2012)
- What to Expect When You're Expecting - Davis (2012)
- White Collar - Ben Ryan (2012)
- The Girl With the Tramp Stamp Tattoo - Mikael Blomkvist (2011)
- Two and a Half Men - Alex (2011)
- 100 Questions - Rick (2010)
- One Tree Hill - Owen Morello (2008-2010)
- 'Til Death - Stu (2008-2010)
- CSI: NY - Rob Meyers (2010)
- Livin' on a Prayer - Doug (2010)
- Medium - Angelo Filipelli (2009)
- How I Met Your Mother - Brad (2006-2012)
- Irene in Time - Charlie (2009)
- CSI: Miami - Tony Ramirez (2009)
- Behind Enemy Lines: Colombia - Lt. Sean Macklin (2009)
- Not Evelyn Cho - Ryan (2009)
- Wounded - Patient (2008)
- Impact Point - Matt Cooper (2008)
- ER - Officer Litchman (2007)
- American Heiress - Solomon Cortez (2007)
- Spider-Man 3 - Flash Thompson (2007)
- Scrubs - Chad Miller (2007)
- So NoTORIous - Scott (2006)
- Close to Home - James Miller (2006)
- Las Vegas - Carson Stuart (2006)
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - Tom Harper (2006)
- A.K.A. - Brian (2006)
- Jake in Progress - Rick Cavanaugh (2006)
- Spider-Man - Flash Thompson (2002)