|“How I Met Everyone Else”|
| First aired:|
October 22, 2007
Gloria Calderon Kellet
Ted brings his new girlfriend to meet the group. Barney tries to prove she's on the wrong side of the line on his Hot/Crazy Scale. In the meantime, the gang tell stories about how they all met.
Everyone sits at the bar when Ted's girlfriend walks in. Ted introduces her as "Blah Blah" (because Future Ted can't recall her name in recounting this particular story). She tells everyone they met at a French cooking class, but actually they met online. Ted then explains that she's hot. Barney explains she's crazy as well. Ted disagrees, however Barney explains the only hot girls online are crazy, hookers or dudes. Barney explains the Hot/Crazy Scale. A girl has to be above the "Vicky Mendoza"-diagonal; after a girl Barney has dated.
Lily and Marshall tell their story about how they met. Lily and Marshall were both college freshmen, and Lily asked Marshall to help with her stereo-set. Ted and Marshall then tell the story of how they met. The first day of college, Marshall was "eating a sandwich" (this term is used by Future Ted for smoking weed, because he doesn't want to tell his kids that he and the gang smoked it), then a guy walks by and says: "dude the dean is coming, put out your sandwich". Ted walks in and Marshall mistakes him for being the dean. When Marshall walks in on Ted "eating a sandwich", he realizes Ted isn't the dean.
Barney then explains how he and Ted met. At the bathroom of MacLaren's, Barney hangs up a story about his deaf brother, and Ted buys it. Later that night, Barney says he will learn Ted how to live. He states: "Rule 1: lose the goatee, it doesn't go with your suit". Ted says he doesn't have one. "Rule 2: Get a suit". He later on comes back with Audrey, and introduces Ted as his deaf brother Edward. In sign language, he tells Audrey to give Barney her fake number. Blah Blah starts to get less stable, and actually turns out to be crazy. She walks off angrily, and Ted runs after her. Ted then tells her a story about how he and Lily made out, and was the direct lead to how she and Marshall met.
The story about how Barney and Marshall met goes as follows: Barney tries to teach Marshall how to live. He encourages Marshall to hit on an amazingly hot girl, who turns out to be Lily (whom Marshall is already dating). Barney says he has no chance, and Marshall goes for it and makes out with Lily. Barney -astonished- wants to know Marshall's secret. It takes a week before he finds out. He's even done Marshall's Laundry.
Lily and Ted confess how they really met, and Marshall says they didn't make out with each other, Ted made out with Alexa Leskys, and Lily made out with Colin O' Riley. Blah Blah freaks out over nothing and runs off. Telling that next time Ted plays World of Warcraft, he shouldn't even think about chatting with her.
In 2020, at a College Reunion, Ted ran into Alexa Leskys. She tells him they did make out. Later that night Marshall, Lily and Ted eat a massive "sandwich", laughing while they eat it. Then Ted says, "Where's my wife?"
- This episode expands on previously given information about how Ted met Barney (Pilot), Marshall met Lily (Best Prom Ever), and Ted met Marshall (Where Were We?).
- Blah Blah is again referenced in Rabbit or Duck, as having been committed to a mental hospital.
- In a flashback to his college days, Ted is seen talking on the phone to his then-girlfriend Karen, previously mentioned in Arrivederci, Fiero.
- Blah Blah is insecure with the fact that she met Ted online. Ted also seems embarrassed, but mentions that there is 'No stigma anymore' with meeting someone online. Ted already tried meeting someone online in Matchmaker and Milk.
- Ted shows, in this episode, that he knows sign language. In Spoiler Alert, he is shown signing again.
- In this episode, Ted mentions Karen, his college girlfriend. In Sorry, Bro and The Front Porch, it is revealed that she cheated on him multiple times.
- Robin's reaction to Blah Blah's assumption that Barney is her boyfriend is similar to the one when she sees an engagement ring in her champagne and thinks Ted is proposing to her in Something Blue.
- The ending scene, where Ted exclaims "Where's my wife?", is an allusion to the fact that The Mother is still, at this point, an unseen character.
- A slight reference to the Hot/Crazy Scale was made in The Wedding; Ted says that Claudia is being crazy. Barney responds by saying, "To be fair, she's also hot."
- In Drumroll, Please, Victoria was worried Ted would use too much tongue.
|Blah Blah:||So, we know how Marshall and Lily met... Robin, how did you and Barney meet?|
No, no, no, no. No! No no, no, no. No (laugh), no, no. No.Barney and I are not together; no. No.
|Barney:||Really? Sixteen no's. Really?|
|Barney:||Hey Audrey! This is my deaf brother, Edward. (shouting at Ted) Edward! This is Audrey!|
|Ted:||Hey, uh, Barney, that story actually goes a little bit differently.|
|Edward (Signing/Deaf Ted):||He's lying. Just give him a fake number.|
|Barney:||Think of me, as Yoda. Only instead of being little and green, I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro. I'm Broda.|
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- During the story where Marshall first tells Ted how he met Lily, they are seen holding Playstation 2 controllers. This moment takes place in 1996, the Playstation 2 was not developed until 2000.
- When Barney is explaining the Vicky Mendoza Diagonal, he gets his axes wrong. He implies that her stabbing him with a fork made her less hot, rather than more crazy, and that the boob job made her less crazy, rather than more hot. In fact, it would actually go right, up and then right again.
- In the scene where Ted met Barney, they wear completely different clothing. Also, there are different people next to them in the booth. (Pilot)
- In Where Were We?, where it is revealed that Marshall thought that Ted was the dean at first, it said that Marshall was on his bed, with his headphones on. But in the flashback, he was trying to impress Ted, who he thought was the dean.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- Near the end of the episode, it is revealed that Ted and Blah Blah met online while playing the game World of Warcraft. Blah Blah is shown to have a masculine character and Ted has a scantily clad female character.
- During most of the flashback scenes, Ted is seen wearing a Cinderella Night Songs shirt.
- During the first flashback to their freshman year (1996), Ted and Marshall are shown playing a Sony PlayStation 2. The PlayStation 2 was released in 2000.
- Barney's chart includes a line that expresses the appropriate ratio of a woman's hotness to her craziness. He calls this "The Vicky Mendoza Diagonal," in reference to baseball's Mendoza Line.
- Barney compares himself to Yoda, a fictional character in the Star Wars universe.
- Save it for a Rainy Day - The Jayhawks
- I Am a Scientist - Guided by Voices
- Walk, Idiot, Walk - The Hives
- Gloria Calderon Kellet, the writer of this episode, won a National Council of La Raza ALMA award for Outstanding Writing for a Television Series for this episode on August 17, 2008.
- How I Met Everyone Else at the English Wikipedia
- How I Met Everyone Else at the Internet Movie Database
- How I Met Everyone Else at TV.com
|Little Boys||How I Met Everyone Else |
|I'm Not That Guy|