| First aired:|
November 7, 2011
While the gang reminisces about Hurricane Irene, Barney tries to cut a deal with Marshall and Lily to get out of wearing the Ducky Tie.
The gang are at the bar when Kevin notices a sign out front of MacLaren's saying "No Boogie Boarding" which leads the gang to tell the story of Hurricane Irene. Ted tells the gang that he has hired a car that seats five people and has a house out of the city where they can stay and ride out the storm. Barney says that they need to stop and pick something up at his house. The group goes there and Barney convinces them to stay saying that Ted's plan is bad and calls him a jerk, causing Ted to storm out. Meanwhile, Lily and Barney get calls from their parents and Robin grows jealous resulting in Barney fake calling Robin as her dad. Ted comes back inside telling Barney he can't come and a hot girl he found in the hallway will be coming in his place. Everyone fights over who gets to stay after Lily calls the hot girl a floozy and Ted says that no one is coming and that he is going by himself. Marshall turns on the television just in time to call Ted back to hear a speech saying that the city is closed and that everyone must go inside and wait out the storm.
Throughout this all, Marshall deals with having no health insurance and is seeing death everywhere. He refuses to go anywhere without Lily because he thinks he will be attacked by a bear. Lily complains that he is not giving her enough time to be alone and that all she wants to do is sit in the bath and read a book. During the storm Marshall pours Lily a bath and tells her to have a little alone time. Lily says she wants Marshall to stay and they end up conceiving their baby in Barney's bathroom.
Barney has grown tired of his ducky tie and Lily and Marshall agree that he can take it off but he must gain an extra 3 slaps to his already existing final slap which gives Marshall 4 slaps. Marshall then gives out two slaps right there and then.The gang go out after the end of the hurricane and play around in the rain which leads to Marshall going boogie boarding, crashing through MacLaren's windows. Robin and Barney decided to share a cab home and they reminisce about the moment after Marshall's accident when they almost kissed but were interrupted when Robin's dad calls her. They make fun of what could have happened and ended up kissing.
- This episode references two bets which Barney had lost, The Slap Bet and The Ducky Tie.
- Ted uses the phrases "therapisted" and "boy scouted"; Marshall often uses the phrase "lawyered".
- When Future Ted is telling his kids that they haven't truly lived until somewhere, someone puts a sign up because of something you did, The sign "No Motorcycles allowed on the casino floor" is shown. The sign was put up in The Magician's Code - Part One, when Barney drives a motorcycle into the casino.
|Marshall:||The Grim reaper beckons. I feel his icy grip ’round my throat. The breath of his hounds at me heels the unrelenting rat-tat-tat of his scythe on my chamber door. And you? With your blithe request you only hasten his inevitable triumph. Is that what you desire? Is that what you desire, Lily?|
|Lily:||I just wanted you to get us some bagels.|
|Marshall:||Bagels! Do you have ANY idea what could happen to me whilst getting bagels?!|
|Maya:||If she's (Lily) going, then I'm not going!|
|Ted:||Lily you're staying. Let's go!|
|Marshall:||If Lily's staying, then I'm staying!|
|Lily:||Then I'm going!|
|Marshall:||Then I'm going!|
|Barney:||You can't go Marshall 'cause I'm going!|
|Robin:||If Barney's going, then I'm not going!|
|Marshall:||Then I can go!|
|Lily:||Then I'm staying!|
|Marshall:||Then I'm staying!|
|Lily:||Then I'm going!|
|Maya:||Then I'm not going!|
|Ted:||You know what?! I'm GOING!|
|Barney:||Hey, I’m really sorry about that phone call.|
|Robin:||Oh, it’s fine.|
|Barney:||No, it is so not fine. I was a jerk. And if you don’t mind my saying, your dad is a complete idiot for not calling. He should never let a day go by without calling you, because… when I let a day go by without talking to you… um… then that day’s just no good.|
|Barney:||Please let me take it off!|
|Barney:||Five thousand dollars!|
|Kevin:||Is he serious?|
|Barney:||Ten thousand dollars!|
|Kevin:||Dude, just take the money.|
|Barney:||Twenty thousand dollars!|
|Barney:||I'll let you slap me in the face as hard as you can!|
|Marshall:||You have my attention.|
|Barney:||le jeu commence (The Game Begins)|
|Marshall:||Je m'appelle Marshall (My name is Marshall)|
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- In the Season 6 finale (presumably September) Robin had long hair, which she cuts at the beginning of Season 7. But in the flashbacks to August she has short hair.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- Lily says Marshall acted like a clingy Edgar Allan Poe, and Marshall mentions several elements of The Raven whilst talking to Lily.
- Barney says, "I'm going to like the way I look. I guarantee it," a reference to TV advertisements for Men's Wearhouse.
- The chase sequence at the start of the episode is a parody of the 1981 film Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- This episode uses a clip of the actual speech given by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg during Hurricane Irene.
- Several references are made to Memoirs of a Geisha, the audiobook that Ted plays in the car.
- Hey - Pixies
- The rooftop in the tale that Barney tells about saving the kid and losing the ducky tie is the GNB rooftop.
- This episode is told in the same format as Ducky Tie, Ted trying to tell the story as he is being interrupted by the constant back and forth in the bar between the gang. Also this episode is somewhat of a sequel to Ducky Tie.
The AV Club's Donna Bowman graded the episode at A-, stating that it had several of the same elements that made the Ducky Tie a wonderful episode: "constantly interrupted storytelling, callbackariffic structuring, fleet pacing, machine-gun dialogue, and a dollop of sweetness at the end".
Angel Cohn of Television Without Pity gave the episode a B+.
- Disaster Averted on Spoiler TV
- Disaster Averted on Hypable
- Disaster Averted at the English Wikipedia
- Disaster Averted at the Internet Movie Database
- Disaster Averted at TV.com
|The Slutty Pumpkin Returns||Disaster Averted |
|Tick Tick Tick|