| First aired:|
May 15, 2006
Ted makes a final attempt to win Robin's heart. Marshall and Lily's relationship is in jeopardy.
| This page or section uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia's Milk (How I Met Your Mother) article. (view authors).
You can contribute to the How I Met Your Mother Wiki by rewriting the copied content.
Robin, while surprised, cannot give Ted a definite answer, especially after he learned that Robin's company camping trip is back on and Sandy Rivers is trying to date her now that he is moving on to CNN. Ted finally accuses Robin of ignoring her true feelings and urges her to "touch the ground", but it fails to win her over. Ted walks out frustrated, but breaks his promise by trying to get Robin again by doing a rain dance. After he convinces a girl Barney hooked up with twice to help him (as she has a Ph.D in Native American studies), Ted tries to do a rain dance, which ultimately proves successful, and he then goes over to Robin's. Ted yells up to her from the street, telling her to come down (alluding to his previous demands for her to "touch the ground"), and the two finally become a couple.
While Ted is finally finding success, Marshall is encountering the opposite. After having learned about Lily's acceptance into an art fellowship in San Francisco, he begins to worry that their relationship is in danger. Marshall and Lily argue almost non-stop as to what will happen and Lily reveals that, despite having promised herself she would not go, she actually wants to, even though the wedding is only weeks away. Due to the length of their arguments, Marshall and Lily have developed a "pause function", allowing them to temporarily drop the argument to do something else. As the argument reaches a head, Lily tries to pause the argument but Marshall refuses, which leads to the two having sex.
As Ted heads back in a cab from Robin's apartment, Future Ted tells his kids that although New York looked the same, in one night everything had changed. Ted's high spirits quickly dampen when he finds Marshall sitting on the steps of the apartment complex in the rain, with Lily having gone to San Francisco and called off the engagement. Ted comforts him, knowing that Marshall has lost the only girl he had ever loved.
- Lily feels the consequences of her interview from Milk when Marshall hears the message on the answering machine.
- Ted recalls the blue French Horn from the Pilot when he gets the blue string quartet.
- Sandy mentions reading the newspaper to his viewers each morning. This was shown previously in Mary the Paralegal.
- Barney mentions waiting naked in a girl's apartment as a way to get girls. This technique for seducing women becomes a major plot point of The Naked Man.
- In Shelter Island, Robin mentions the occasion when Ted tried to make it rain (Ted argues that in fact he did make it rain).
|Ted:||Robin, I've sort of said this already. I mean, I've half said it. I've tried to say it, and I've said it badly. So this is me. Just saying it. With strings. I'm crazy about you, I think we should be together. What do you say?|
- —Ted expresses his feelings to Robin.
|Barney:||Ted! You're forcing me to be the voice of reason, and it's not a good look for me!|
|Sandy Rivers:||Bummer. I was hoping to finally have sex with you this weekend, Scherbatsky.|
|Robin:||Well, I'd give you the "I don't date coworkers" speech again, but God, you must have that sumbitch memorized by now.|
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- Penelope says that she and Barney were together in his car, but Barney can't drive and is against having a car in New York. However, being Barney, it's not out of the realm of possibility that it wasn't his car and that for some reason he thought claiming it was would make her sleep with him.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- Robin says she planned to come home and watch Jeopardy!.
- Marshall and Lily eat at Red Lobster.
- Ted jokes to Penelope that he is going to get brain surgery from a guy who's seen some episodes of ER.
- Amy Acker, who played Penelope, previously worked with Alyson Hannigan on several occasions on the TV series Angel, with Hannigan portraying Willow Rosenberg and Acker portraying Fred Burkle.
- Alexis Denisof, who plays the recurring character Sandy Rivers, is Alyson Hannigan's husband. He also co-stared with Amy Acker on the TV series Angel.
- Amy Acker - Penelope
- Suzanne Ford - Vet
- Alexis Denisof - Sandy Rivers
- Robert Michael Morris - Lou
- Mark Gagliardi - Quartet Leader
|Milk||Come On |
|Where Were We?|