|“Belly Full of Turkey”|
| First aired:|
November 21, 2005
Lily and Marshall head to Minnesota to spend the holiday with his family. Robin and Ted want to volunteer at a soup kitchen and are surprised to learn that Barney works there year-round.
On Thanksgiving day of 2005, Lily and Marshall went back to Marshall's home at St.Cloud, Minnesota, which made him really excited. Ted, Robin and Barney stayed in New York.
As soon as Lily and Marshall arrived, Lily realized that she was different from everybody in Marshall’s family. Marshall, who was already big relatively, was the small guy in the Eriksen family. Later, she found that everything in the family was huge, including salads, bowls and spoons. Mrs. Eriksen told Lily that the Eriksen babies were big and heavy, which drove Lily very nervous picturing herself carrying Marshall’s baby.
On the dinner table, Lily insisted that she kept her name after marriage and raised their baby in New York, which evoked the disapproval of the Erisksens. Their opinion was that she should completely fit in the Ericksen family. Lily had an argument with Marshall and ran out of the house. She bought a pregnancy test in a convenience store, and later got arrested for public urination. Marshall picked her up in the jail, and told her that he would not let their family be the same as his own family. Later, they learnt that Lily was pregnant.
Meanwhile, Ted and Robin went to a kitchen do charity work for food donation, where they encountered Barney. They didn’t believe that Barney would possibly want to help others, though Kendall, his boss, claimed that he came every Sunday. Barney was also the volunteer of the year. Later, Ted and Robin found that Barney was doing community service for public urination. While Barney was playing a busy and essential role in the kitchen, Ted and Robin didn’t have many things to do. They finally helped a girl called Amanda, but later found out she was taking the donations home, and so did Kendall, the guy in charge. Ted distributed the food Kendall wanted, and got fired together with Robin and Barney.
- Robin being Canadian is first mentioned.
- Lily worries that she might be pregnant when her period is late, and in The Duel, Marshall tells Ted that he and Lily aren't that careful with their birth control.
- This episode marks the first appearance of Marshall's family.
- This is the first episode where the Lusty Leopard is mentioned and shown.
Future References (Contains Spoilers)
- Mayonnaise being a favorite ingredient amongst the Eriksens is referenced again in Game Night and Atlantic City.
- In Brunch, Barney mentions that he volunteers serving food at a homeless shelter.
- Lily tells Marshall and his family that she isn't going to take his last name. In Something Blue, Lily and Marshall discuss not having the same last name, and in Big Days, Lily tells Marshall about his father calling her to inform her he started the process of getting her name changed.
- Robin informs Ted that Canadians like her celebrate Thanksgiving in October, and in Slapsgiving, the gang makes fun of her for calling Canadian Thanksgiving the "real Thanksgiving".
- This is the only time where the gang are seen not celebrating Thanksgiving together. In Slapsgiving, Future Ted mentions that from then on, they always celebrated it together.
- Barney complains that he will have to complete his community service by picking up trash on the side of the road after Ted gets them kicked out of the shelter, and he mentions having done this when he and Ted get sued for assault in The Fight.
- The Eriksen Seven Layer Salad is seen again in The Fight and Last Words.
- Future Ted mentions that "at 6'4", Marshall was the runt of the Eriksen clan". Marshall brings this up again in The Stinsons.
- Lily's issues with her in-laws, particularly Marshall's mother, come up again in The Stinsons, Big Days, and Bad News. Despite Lily and her mother-in-law appearing to resolve some of the issues between them in Last Words, they continue to persist, as seen in The Drunk Train and Who Wants to Be a Godparent?.
- Lily being a gourmet cook, first mentioned here when she offers to make a frisée and endive salad with a coriander lime vinaigrette instead of the Eriksen Seven Layer Salad, is brought up again in The Front Porch and The Sexless Innkeeper.
- Lily's hips not being "Eriksen baby compliant" is again referenced in later episodes, including Jenkins and Home Wreckers.
- Marshall's father mentions that Eriksen men are extremely fertile, claiming that their "swimmers" have "two tails and a drillbit for a head". In Subway Wars, Marshall mentions that Eriksen men are "hella fertile".
- Barney calls the Thanksgiving dinner at the Lusty Leopard "surprisingly good", and in Baby Talk, Marshall is seen agreeing with Barney that the strip club's prime rib was "surprisingly good".
- In Bass Player Wanted, Robin tells Lily that the reason Barney wants Marshall to accept the judgeship offered to him in Something New is that he has a penchant for getting arrested for public urination.
- Future Ted tricks his kids by claiming that Tracy the stripper turned out to be their mother. As revealed in Last Forever - Part Two, the Mother's name is indeed Tracy.
|Lily:||Happy Thanksgiving? As in, "Check out the girl buying a knock up test, everybody! Wonder what must be going through her head!" Yeah, well, since ya asked: A family of mayonnaise-guzzling giants is trying to suck me into their suburban nightmare and there's a solid chance that I have an Eriksen the size of a fifteen-pound turkey growing inside of me!|
- —Lily rants to the supermarket clerk while buying a pregnancy testing kit.
|Barney:||I have 40 hours left on my community service and now I've gotta spend it spearing trash on a freakin' median strip. (Screaming at Ted) Volunteer of the year!|
|Ted:||I'm sorry. I'm sorry, okay? Look, if there's anything I can do to make it up to you just tell me. I'll I'll do it.|
|Barney:||Ted, I'm glad you asked.|
|Robin:||I am Canadian. Remember? We celebrate Thanksgiving in October.|
|Ted:||Oh right I forgot. You guys are weird and you pronounce the word out, oot|
|Robin:||You guys are the world's leader in hand gun violence; your health care system is bankrupt and your country is deeply divided on almost every important issue.|
|Ted:||... Your cops are called "mounties".|
|Ted:||This is crazy! When did it get so hard to do charity work?|
|Robin:||I do charity work all the time. Remember when I said I'd find you a girlfriend?|
|Ted:||Delightful. How's that little project coming along anyway?|
|Robin:||I'm working on it. I'm gonna introduce you to that girl you've been staring at.|
|Ted:||What? That's crazy, I haven't been staring at any girl.|
|Robin:||Have you met Ted?|
|Ted:||Hi. I'm the afore mentioned Ted. And this is um, gone.|
|Marshall:||Dad, you're embarrassing me!|
|Marvin Sr.:||Oh, don't worry about it, son, she's cool. She's going to be an Eriksen. Yeah.|
|Lily:||well, well, not literally, 'cause, you know, I'm keeping my name.|
|Judy:||But the apron.|
|Ted:||Oh, I'm Ted. [Shake hands]|
|Stripper:||Actually, I'm Tracy.|
|Future Ted:||And that kids is the true story of how I met your mother.|
|Future Ted:||Haha, I'm kidding.|
|Robin:||Thanksgiving in November... weird.|
|Lily:||Look, we may have some really big decisions to make in about 10 seconds but right now, I don't care where our kids grow up as long as they have you for a father. Gosh, I hope you're the father. Just a little joke to lighten up the mood.|
|Marshall :||What does it say?|
|Lily:||I'm afraid to look.|
|Lily:||Thank God...And hey!|
Notes and Trivia
Ted reveals the name of the mother way back in season 1, during the scene where Ted is buying the lap dance for Walter, the homeless man. The stripper says "Actually, my name is Tracy" and then future Ted said, "And that kids, is how I met your mother," before saying he was just kidding.
Goofs and Errors
- Robin has no problem being in a strip club in this episode and in The Stamp Tramp, but in Double Date, she has major objections to strip clubs and calls them disgusting. This is likely because she is dating Barney at the time and disapproves of his desire to visit them.
- Marshall says that Barney cooks naked, but in Blitzgiving the stove in Barney's apartment stove is shown to be a cardboard display.
- In this episode both of Marshall's brothers have wives, but in Tailgate, Marshall says that Marcus still lives with his mom (which would suggest that he is single). A year later, in Who Wants to Be a Godparent? Lily and Marshall are surprised to find out that Marcus has recently left his wife and two kids.
- When Kendall rejects Ted and Robin's help, he was bending as he wrote on his notepad, but in the next scene, he was seen standing straight.
Allusions and Outside References
- Barney mentioned that he is the Angelina Jolie of hot guys. The episode aired at about the time the actress was known for philantrophy.
- Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt - We Are Scientists
- You Belong to Me - The 88
- Mr. Roboto - Styx
- Barney hums "Over the River and Through the Wood" while volunteering.
- Suzie Plakson - Judy Eriksen
- Bill Fagerbakke - Marvin Eriksen Sr.
- Ned Rolsma - Marcus Eriksen
- Robert Michael Ryan - Marvin Eriksen Jr.
- Jennifer Wilson - Ashley Eriksen
- Katie A. Keane - Tracy
- John Bobek - Clerk
- Elizabeth Bogush - Amanda
- Adam Kulbersh - Kendall
- Tom Ayers - Walter
- Eben Ham - Policeman
- Lisa Catara - Samantha (uncredited)
- The St. Petersburg Comic Review gave this episode 8 out of 10 stars. "A look into Marshall's family and the insanity he possesses."
- Belly Full of Turkey at the English Wikipedia
- Belly Full of Turkey at the Internet Movie Database
- Belly Full of Turkey at TV.com
|The Duel||Belly Full of Turkey |
|The Pineapple Incident|