Barney and Robin's wedding is the day on which Barney Stinson officially gives up his bachelor lifestyle and gets married to Robin Scherbatsky. It is also the day when Ted meets The Mother. It's been referred to as "The most important day in all their lives."
Flashforwards to the wedding have occurred in Big Days, Challenge Accepted, The Best Man, The Magician's Code - Part Two, Farhampton and Band or DJ?. The whole 9th Season is set on the wedding weekend - starting from Friday at 10am when the gang is leaving for the wedding as seen in Something New.
Details about the wedding initially came very slowly. This is the order of revelations about the wedding:
- In Big Days, it is revealed that Ted is the best man of a wedding the day he finally meets The Mother.
- In Challenge Accepted, it is shown that it starts to rain before the reception, and it is revealed that Barney is the groom of the wedding.
- In The Best Man, Barney is shown to have thoughts about escape from the wedding through the window because of pre-wedding jitters.
- In The Magician's Code - Part Two, Ted calls it a "a wedding day that went horribly wrong", and it is revealed that Robin is the bride of the wedding.
- In Farhampton, it shown that Ted injures his hand at some point during the weekend, as his hand is shown bandaged. It is also shown that it is still raining after Ted leaves the reception when he meets The Mother.
- In Farhampton, Robin is shown to have thoughts about escape from the wedding through the window because of pre-wedding jitters. It is also revealed that the wedding takes place in a location on Long Island called Farhampton and the church Barney and Robin get married in was the same church that Victoria almost got married in.
- In Band or DJ? it is stated that the reception will be held under a big white tent outside the Farhampton Inn.
- In Band or DJ?, it is revealed that The Mother is the bass player in the band playing at the wedding, and Robin is seen on the reception dancefloor with her father.
- In Band or DJ?, and Something New, it is revealed that the wedding will take place on Sunday, May 25th 2013, at 6pm.
- In Something New, it is shown that Robin and Barney will have an elaborate first dance, with some dancers and glitter. Ted reveals to Lily that he plans on moving to Chicago the day after the wedding.
- On January 31, 2014 Craig Thomas reveals on his Twitter page that not only Lily, but also Patrice is a bridesmaid (2).
Also the writers have confirmed some details about the wedding of Barney and Robin:
- It won't be the smoothest wedding, but Barney and Robin will get married.
- All members of the Gang meet The Mother at the wedding before Ted does at the Farhampton train station.
- Ted finally gets over Robin, which is seen at the end of Sunrise.
- We will meet a lot of "old" guest stars coming back for this wedding.
With every episode of Season 9 there are more details to be revealed about the actual wedding:
- Barney wants to have a ringbear The Locket.
- Barney and Robin invited all kinds of relatives, some inclusive wildcards and Cousin Mitch, which connects both families (adopted on Robins side and married to Barneys Canadian side) The Locket
- James will perform something The Locket
- In Coming Back the airport personal announces there are no flights to NY because of an approaching storm > hence the rain we saw already in Challenge Accepted and Farhampton
- In Mom and Dad, it is revealed that Sam Gibbs will be the one to marry Barney and Robin.
- Main article: Barney's Wife.
Barney and Robin's romantic history goes back to Sandcastles in the Sand, when they first sleep together. In the Season 3 finale Miracles, Barney starts looking at Robin as a prospective love interest following his near-fatal accident. Although he reveals his new feelings for Robin to Lily in Do I Know You?, he fails to reveal his feelings directly to Robin, until he finally does in The Leap. The two become a couple in the Season 5 premiere, and they persevere until The Rough Patch. Robin hints at remaining feelings for Barney in Challenge Accepted and at the end of Disaster Averted when they kissed. That leads to them sleeping together, as revealed in Tick Tick Tick. At the end of The Rebound Girl, Robin tells Barney she's pregnant. However, after seeing a doctor, they find out that she is neither pregnant, nor can she ever have kids as revealed in Symphony of Illumination. Robin also says that the father of her imaginary kids is Barney, indicating that she wants to be with him.
In The Best Man, Lily informs Ted that Barney's bride wants to see him, hinting that the bride is someone that Ted and Lily are close with. Furthermore, in False Positive, Robin asks Ted if he will be her best man after he gets the entire gang to stop their childish behavior. If Robin is Barney's bride, it is likely that Ted is Robin's best man as well as Barney's. In The Magician's Code - Part Two, it shows Robin in a wedding dress. Barney and Robin become engaged in The Final Page - Part Two and spend the second half of the eighth season planning their wedding and dealing with issues that come their way.
Quinn was introduced as a Recurring Character starting in Season 7, making her first appearance in the show in February 2012. Writers of the show have confirmed that she will "play a major role in Barney's love life".
Barney meets her at a club where Ted is trying to hook up with her friend, and he likes her immediately, although he keeps telling Ted he hates her. They have coffee together in Karma, and they decide to move in together in The Broath. Barney also seems a little uncomfortable about her being a stripper, and Quinn says that the only way she'd quit is if she were to get married. In The Magician's Code - Part Two, Barney propose to Quinn but later in the episode another flashforward to the wedding shows Robin as Barney's bride. This hints that Quinn and Barney will break up, which occurs in the The Pre-Nup, when they realise that they have trust issues with each other.
Barney and Nora had been seeing each other since Desperation Day, but the two fell out following Barney's revelation of faking his serious committing nature to her just so he can sleep with her. Although he came close to committing himself to a relationship with her, Barney did not pursue Nora again until they met again in Challenge Accepted, and he and Nora started going out in Season 7. It's worth noting that Nora and Barney first slept together several weeks after they began dating (in Noretta), in spite of Barney's womanizing personality. Nora also happens to be the first woman following Robin to whom Barney had committed himself for more than one night. Barney had also been doing things he never would have done for her (waiting at a diner for over nine hours, waiting two months to sleep with her, making a deal with Marshall in exchange for three extra slaps to take off the ducky tie because he wants to make a good impression on her parents). However, they break up in Tick Tick Tick when Barney tells her that he cheated on her.