| First aired:|
April 9, 2007
Ted plans Marshall's bachelor party but Barney can't help intervening. Meanwhile, things get awkward when Robin brings a provocative gift to Lily's bachelorette party.
| This page or section uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia's Bachelor Party (How I Met Your Mother) article. (view authors).
You can contribute to the How I Met Your Mother Wiki by rewriting the copied content.
Meanwhile, Robin is in an awkward position at Lily's bridal shower, since (under Barney's advice) Robin has gotten her a "battery-powered adult recreational fake penis" (instead of a see-through nightie), and most of Lily's guests are much older family members. Robin tries to stop Lily from opening the gift and finally switches cards with another present to disguise her gift. When Lily opens Robin's gift (which Lily believes to be from her grandmother), Lily is shocked, but then Robin reveals that it was actually her gift, and Lily, as well as the other women, react much more mildly than Robin expected.
Lily and Robin go down to the bar afterwards and are surprised to see Ted and Marshall there. They explain that Barney ruined the bachelor party, and Marshall is even considering not inviting Barney to the wedding. Lily reveals a story: During the summer when the engagement was broken off (between Seasons 1 and 2 in the show), Barney flew out to San Francisco and told Lily to come back, as he thought they should be together, and that she might lose Marshall forever if she didn't come back. In San Francisco, Barney tells Lily that he cannot keep stealing girls from Marshall forever, implying that he has been trying to provide an opportunity for Lily to return. At this point, Barney is made co-best man with Ted, and Marshall is happy that Barney cared about their relationship.
- Lily and Robin attempt to have a Telepathic Conversation, first used in Mary the Paralegal. Again, they fail to properly understand each other.
- Lily reveals that she returned home from San Francisco in Where Were We? after Barney convinced her to. He also told her that he couldn't keep stealing women from Marshall forever, as seen in The Scorpion and the Toad, however, Lily had already returned to New York before Barney started doing this.
- Barney previously insisted on helping with Marshall's bachelor party in Atlantic City.
- Stuart's admission that things aren't going well at home could be a precursor to his future alcoholism, first addressed in Intervention. Stuart and Claudia's marital discord is also referenced again in Baby Talk and The Poker Game.
- Barney's habit of winking to indicate he is lying is first introduced. Ted does this to him in Ring Up when promising not to sleep with his half-sister again.
|Barney:||There's a store on 8th Avenue that specializes in—how to put this delicately—battery... powered... adult... recreational... fake penises.|
- —Barney tells Robin what to get Lily for her wedding shower
|Ted:||We love naked girls. They're one of the best things in the world. It goes: naked girls, democracy, the scene in Every Which Way But Loose where the monkey gives the guy the finger. We just don't like your naked girls.|
|Barney:||What!? My girls aren't hot enough? I mean, yeah alright fine, the stripper at Stuart's bachelor party was a 15.|
|Ted:||She was 15?!|
|Barney:||No. A 15. Like in blackjack.|
|Ted:||pauses to think) ...As in, not sure whether you'd hit it?|
|Robin:||Check out what I got Lily for her shower. It's kind of racy, think you can handle it?|
|Barney:||I've been in a ten-way, so yeah.|
|Marshall:||It's my bachelor party - no strippers.|
|Barney:||Awww, he thinks he has a choice. So, strippers it is!|
|Ted:||Barney, I want you to promise me. No strippers.|
|Barney:||Okay, I promise.
|Ted:||I'm serious. No strippers.|
|Barney:||So am I. No strippers.
|Ted:||Now say it without winking.|
|Ted:||You just winked.|
|Barney:||No, I didn't.
- —Ted and Barney discuss Marshall's bachelor party
|Marshall:||Whoa, Morgan Freeman? He's really in everything?|
|Barney:||Oh, damn. I grabbed the wrong "Deep Impact".|
- —The guys watching videos that Barney brought for the bachelor party
|Marshall:||Now we'll have to spend my bachelor party in the hospital.|
|Barney:||Then we'll see her X-rays. The ultimate stripping. X-rays? More like triple-X-rays.|
- —Barney and Marshall talking after the stripper breaks her ankle
|Robin:||Hey, Barney, check out what I got Lily for her shower. It's kind of racy. Think you can handle it?|
|Barney:||Uh, I've been in a ten-way. So, yeah.|
|Robin:||(simulate having wear it over the clothes with a little shame) It's kind of see-through.|
|Barney:||Whoa, ho ho! You weren't kidding! You know when you should give that to her? 1850, Robin, it's her bridal shower! All her friends are gonna be there, they're going to be drinking. You need to get her something daring, something outrageous.|
|Robin:||Well, what do you think I should get her?|
|Barney:||There's a store on Eighth Avenue that specializes in how to put this delicately? uh, battery-powered, adult- recreational fake penises.|
|Future Ted:||And so Aunt Robin went to a store on Eighth Avenue, and a battery-powered, adult-recreational Well, it was something inappropriate.|
- —Future Ted telling his kids the story of how Robin give the Dildo to Lily as a gift.
|Lily:||I can't believe you got me this.|
|Robin:||Oh, I only did it as a joke. I can return it for you you want.|
|Lily:||Oh, no, it's okay. You don't have to go all the way back down there. I'll, I'll just throw it away.|
|Robin:||Well, I mean, if you were going to throw it away, maybe I'll take it in case I get invited to another wedding shower. It's a great gag gift.|
|Lily:||Yeah, it's really funny. You know who would get a kick out of it? Marshall. So, so maybe I'll just hold on to it.|
|Robin:||I would be embarrassed if Marshall found out that I bought it for you, so I'd better just take it.|
|Lily:||Robin, leave it.|
- —Robin and Lily arguing about keeping the Dildo for her.
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- Barney says that he's been in a ten-way, but in the Third Wheel, Barney competes with Ted for the Threeway Belt for whoever has a three-way first.
- Although the ten-way that Barney claims to have had might be a lie, because he is a pathological liar, as seen in Mystery vs. History.
- Also a three-way may actually be more difficult to achieve than a ten-way (which would not count as a three-way), because of the group dynamic.
- When Lily tells Marshall that Barney visited her in San Francisco the previous summer when they were separated, Barney makes mention of "stealing chicks from him" which occurs in The Scorpion and the Toad. Lily was already back in New York at that time. It is, however, possible that Barney had been stealing chicks from Marshall before Lily had returned.
- When Barney learned that they are not going to Atlantic City, the TV monitor was open but when Barney unbuckles his seat belt, the TV monitor was closed.
- In the restaurant after the strip show there are two caricatures of Luciano Pavarotti the opera singer, one seen behind Barney and the other higher up on the wall behind Ted.
- Lily's mother is shown giving Robin a tampon from her purse, however it is very unlikely that a woman of her age would be carrying tampons as she would have already gone through menopause and would no longer be menstruating.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- When talking about the best things in life, Ted mentions naked women, democracy, and the scene where "the monkey gives the guy the finger" in Every Which Way But Loose.
- Barney mistakenly puts on Deep Impact believing it to a pornographic film.
- Barney's suggestion to bury the stripper in the desert if she dies is a reference to Very Bad Things.
- K Callan plays Lily's Grandma Lois. K Callan played Lois Lane's mother-in-law Martha Kent on Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.
- Lily's relatives reference Sex and the City and its syndication on TBS when they see the vibrator that Robin bought for Lily. More specifically, they reference the vibrator that Miranda gives to Charlotte in "The Turtle and the Hare".
- Barney asks Lily if he should visit Alcatraz or Fisherman's Wharf in the three hours before his plane leaves.
- Caricatures of show creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas can be seen on the wall of the restaurnat the guys go to after Treasure finishes her strip show.
- An extended version of the scene with Treasure the stripper posted on the How I Met Your Mother MySpace page reveals that her show involves an extensive number of props, including: handcuffs; a ping pong paddle; a whip; a baton; an umbrella; a feather cat toy; a pylon; a lantern; foam fingers; a hippity hop ball; a large water jug; a blow-up giraffe; a fire extinguisher; a typewriter (Barney mentions one in a subsequent scene, the prop is unseen); cupcakes (snacks—it's a long show). The bag she uses seems to reference Mary Poppins.
- The German episode title is "Pikante Partys", meaning "Spicy Parties". The French episode title is "L'enterrement de vie de garçon", meaning "Burial of a Boy's Life".
- International Airdates: Czech Republic: February 4, 2010 on Prima COOL
- Meagen Fay - Janice Aldrin
- K Callan - Grandma Lois
- Corie Vickers - Cousin Margaret
- Joe Manganiello - Brad
- Matt Boren - Stuart
- Erin Cardillo - Treasure
- Patricia Place - Aunt Florence
- Jamie Hagan - Stripper
- Staci Krause at IGN gave the episode an 8.5 out of 10.
- The St. Petersburg Comic Review gave the episode 9.5 stars out of 10. "Robin's gift was definitely not a sewing machine!"
- Bachelor Party at the English Wikipedia
- Bachelor Party at the Internet Movie Database
- Bachelor Party at TV.com
|Moving Day||Bachelor Party |