Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
| First aired:|
January 16, 2012
Lily and Marshall officially move to the suburbs and find that Lily's bossy father refuses to move out of their house. Meanwhile, the gang tries to adjust to their absence by going to a strip club.
Marshall and Lily officially move to their new house in the suburbs, where they find Lily's dad Mickey not wanting to move out. After putting up with him for two weeks, Marshall finally snaps and forces Mickey to move out. When the power goes out, a hurt Mickey decides to play tricks on Marshall and tries to prevent him from successfully reaching the basement where the fuse box is. When Marshall trips down the basement stairs, Lily convinces Mickey to instruct Marshall. Via intercom, Mickey instructs Marshall in successfully getting the power back on.
Meanwhile, Ted finds himself missing Marshall and Lily, while Barney embraces being the new leader of the group. The gang, including Kevin, goes to a strip club, where Ted tries to make Stripper Lily and her boyfriend Arvydas fit into the group as a new Marshall and better Lily. As the night progresses, Robin and Kevin play "Early Relationship Chicken" (where they always say 'yes' to things to seem interesting) until they confess they don't like it, and Ted becomes increasingly inebriated and sad. After a poker game, Stripper Lily and Arvydas ask them if they want to go with them to a part in a slaughterhouse. While no one, including Barney, wants to go, drunk Ted takes the lead instead and decides to go. Not much later, 'Better Lily' and 'New Marshall' steal $200 from each of the gang, so they decide to go to Long Island and be with Only Marshall and One-of-a-kind Lily.
At Marshall and Lily's house, Ted admits that he misses them, and they all sit down for breakfast. Lily tells her father that he can stay for a little longer, to which he replies that he'll be staying "two weeks," although Future Ted states that it was "much longer." Future Ted then says that even though they all eventually moved away from their booth at MacLaren's, their "booth" was wherever they all were.
- The opening title was changed to "How I Met Your Barney". The actual origin of Ted and Barney meeting was described in Pilot and shown in How I Met Everyone Else.
- Stripper Lily first appeared in Double Date.
- Mickey's hobby for making board games is shown once again in this episode.
- The separation of The Gang is previously mentioned in Robots Versus Wrestlers.
- The first time " Early Relationship Chicken" was mentioned was in The Rough Patch between Barney and Robin.
- The picture Mickey knocked down was previously seen in Intervention.
|Barney:||Tonight is gonna be legen-- wait are we sure it's a good idea to go to a strip club.. Shut up Lily I'm in charge now-- dary!|
|Ted:||(high voice) We built Chip City... We built Chip City on all your dough!|
|Kevin:||Hey, guys. Where are Marshall and Lily?|
|Ted:||Something terrible happened.|
|Kevin:||Are they okay? Are they in the hospital?|
|Barney:||No. Somewhere much much worse.|
|Barney:||Ted, stop pining over Marshall and Lily. Have some self-respect. Now, put this fiver in your mouth so that stripper with the lazy eye can vacuum it up with...|
|Ted:||Barney! Wh-what? I'm allowed to miss them, okay? They're my two best friends.|
|Barney:||I'm your two best friends! And we're here tonight to show you there's no need to miss something when you can replace it with something better.|
|Announcer:||Gentlemen, say hello to J-J-J-Jasmine!|
|Ted:||Look, I know I've been a little drunk and naïve tonight, but here's what's gonna happen. First, we're gonna leave a note for Better Lily and Arvydas, they're worriers.|
|Ted:||Then, we're gonna go see Only Marshall and One-Of-A-Kind Lily because they're our best friends and they're only Are you with me?|
|Barney:||Kind of resent the power grab, but okay, let's go!|
|Future Ted:||A while back we discovered the most amazing thing: Lily had a doppelgänger who was a Russian stripper.|
|Barney:||Look at her Ted: she's just like old less-good Lily, but instead of bossing us around, she shows us her boobs.
[Moves a hand toward her]
|Stripper Lily:||[Slaps his hand] No touching!|
|Barney:||Okay, a little bossing us around. I call her Better Lily!|
|Arvydas:||Want to touch my girlfriend's boobs? Fifty bucks.|
|Barney:||Wait, Better Lily is dating this behemoth? Sound like anyone you know? That's New Marshall! This is our gang now!|
Notes and TriviaEdit
Goofs and ErrorsEdit
- According to Barney in Say Cheese, he never looks bad in any picture. However, there are several pictures in the opener where it is debatable if this standard is reached.
- Robin got him to look terrible in a future picture; this may have broken Barney's photogenic streak.
- While Barney is trying to convince Ted not to miss Marshall and Lily, a stripper approaches a man in the background during one shot but is no longer present in the next shot.
- At the beginning of the poker game, Larry isn't present.
- Mickey claims that there are 900 dominoes in the shape of Barbra Eden on the ping pong table. When Marshall stands up, however, there are no dominoes.
Allusions and Outside ReferencesEdit
- The title is a reference to the 46 minute train ride distance from Manhattan out to see Marshall and Lily on Long Island via the Long Island Railroad. This trip does not include the additional leg of the trip from the train station to their East Meadow home (East Meadow does not have an LIRR stop). The length of trip will also vary by number of stops as the LIRR trains do vary between a variety of express combinations during peak times and a fully local pattern of stops during off peak times. The 46 minutes also does not include the travel time to Penn Station in Manhattan where the LIRR departs from.
- The way Marshall is tracked around the house in darkness mirrors the basement scene in The Silence of The Lambs.
- Ted mentions Party of Five.
- Ted paraphrases the song We Built This City in mocking the Russians playing poker.
- During the poker game, the Russian who turns and glares at Robin is eating a tray of Oreos, a reference to the poker movie Rounders.
- When Stripper Lily says "We go to party in slaughterhouse now", it may be a reference to the second scene in the movie Blade, where a man is led by a red-haired Russian to a techno party inside a slaughterhouse.
- Daytime - Jack Dolgen
- This is the third episode to use an alternative opening sequence, after Pilot and Hopeless.
- The series also gets a temporary rename to "How I Met Your Barney." The only other episode to do this will be How Your Mother Met Me.
- In the Russian version of the opening credits Stripper Lily tries to kiss Robin, a reference to Lily's bisexual tendencies towards Robin.
- One of the strippers in the background is wearing the same outfit as the stripper barney hired for Ted's Bachelor party.
- Chris Elliott - Mickey Aldrin
- Kal Penn - Kevin
- Dimitri Diatchenko - Arvydas
- Milynn Sarley - Ferrari
- Ptolemy Slocum - Larry
- Matt Lasky - Butterfly Knife
- Donna Bowman on the A.V. Club gave this episode a B.
- The St. Petersburg Comic Review gave this episode 3 out of 10 stars. "...just a short train ride away...to the absolute worst episode of HIMYM."
|Tailgate||46 Minutes |
|The Burning Beekeeper|